New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Litchfield Logo Graphic.4

Council Postpones Hunting Ordinance Changes Amidst Confusion Over Leased Land

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Oct. 2, 2025 Article Summary: The Litchfield City Council voted to postpone a proposed ordinance that would have required hunters to register and display windshield...
Meeting Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: Litchfield City Council for Sept. 18, 2025

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Sept. 18, 2025 The Litchfield City Council met on Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2025, handling a variety of infrastructure and financial business. The council voted to...
Meeting Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: Litchfield Park District Board for Sept. 3, 2025

Litchfield Park District Board Meeting | Sept. 3, 2025 The Litchfield Park District Board met on Wednesday, September 3, 2025, to review end-of-summer financials and ongoing construction projects. The board...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.4

Litchfield Pursues Safe Routes to School Grant for New Sidewalks

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Sept. 18, 2025 Article Summary: The City Council authorized a resolution of financial commitment to apply for an Illinois Safe Routes to School grant. The...
Litchfield Park-Graphic Logo.4

District Switches Internet Provider to CTI

Litchfield Park District Board Meeting | Sept. 3, 2025 Article Summary: The Park District is upgrading its internet service at two key facilities, replacing Consolidated Communications with CTI. Internet Upgrade...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.3

Council Awards Contract for Skyview Drive Improvements

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Sept. 18, 2025 Article Summary: Baxmeyer Construction was awarded a nearly $2 million contract for road improvements on Skyview Drive. The project, largely funded by...
Litchfield Park Logo Graphic.3

Lentz Excavating Recommended for Trail Rip Rap Project

Litchfield Park District Board Meeting | Sept. 3, 2025 Article Summary: The Park Board identified Lentz Excavating & Trucking as the low bidder for a project to install rip rap...
Litchfield Logo.1

Litchfield Upgrades Water Main Project on State Street Following Resident Concerns

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Sept. 18, 2025 Article Summary: The City Council approved a nearly $100,000 change order to upgrade a water main project on State Street from 8-inch...
Litchfield Park-Graphic Logo.4

Park District Secures $10,000 Grant for Concession Stand Project

Litchfield Park District Board Meeting | Sept. 3, 2025 Article Summary: The Park District received substantial funding from the Duff Trust to purchase equipment for the new concession stand, which...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.4

Litchfield City Council Re-establishes Local Grocery Tax to Preserve Revenue

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Sept. 18, 2025 Article Summary: The Litchfield City Council voted to implement a 1% municipal grocery tax, effectively continuing a revenue stream that the state...
Litchfield Park-Pool Graphic Logo

Pool Deficit Hits Nearly $25,000 as Summer Season Ends

Litchfield Park District Board Meeting | Sept. 3, 2025 Article Summary: The Litchfield Park District pool ended August with a significant financial deficit due to a combination of poor weather,...