U.S. Ed Dept. investigates Puyallup wrestler’s sexual assault allegation by trans athlete
The U.S. Department of Education is investigating the Puyallup School District for how it handled an alleged sexual assault of a female wrestler late last year allegedly by a transgender student.
The Rogers High School sophomore reported the alleged assault to school officials and her coach two days after the December incident. The girl’s family contends the administration failed to take meaningful action to protect and investigate her claim of sexual assault.
The alleged victim, 16-year-old Kallie Keeler, says the incident happened during a Dec. 6, 2025, match in which she was wrestling against a 190-pound transgender wrestler. At the time, Keeler did not know her opponent was a biological male.
“The allegations in this case are sickening—that a female athlete was not only unknowingly forced to compete against a male in a girls-only division, placing her at increased risk for sexual assault, but that her report of sexual assault during the match was ignored by Puyallup School District for months. While the District may prioritize ideological agendas over the safety and dignity of its students, the Trump Administration will not tolerate such conduct,” Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Kimberly Richey said in a Friday news release announcing the federal investigation. “We will continue to vigorously enforce Title IX to ensure that women and girls have safe, equal access to educational programs and opportunities, and that allegations of sexual assault are addressed promptly and fully.”
The office of Pierce County Sheriff Keith Swank and the Puyallup School District confirmed Tuesday they are also conducting an investigation into the incident.
Event Calendar
Latest News Stories
Palatine teacher fired over anti-BLM posts turns to SCOTUS
Attorneys seek to remove prosecutors in Tyler Robinson trial
Plastic surgeons recommend delaying gender surgery until 19
Congress begins two-week battle over DHS funding bill
Chicago mayor defends ICE order, calls for progressive revenue from state taxpayers
Unrealized Education Department cuts cost taxpayers up to $38 million
Illinois Quick Hits: Illinois to join WHO’s alert network
GOP candidates for Illinois governor challenge Pritzker on state finances
Date set for Clintons to appear before House committee
Lawmaker says adopting federal ‘no tax on tips’ would help workers
AGs request probe into climate activists’ influence on Federal Judicial Center
Detroit judge among four charged with exploiting vulnerable adults