Temporary protected status terminated for Yemen nationals
Yemeni nationals in the U.S. on temporary protective status will have 60 days to leave the country.
Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem announced the termination of the protected status for nationals of the Gulf Arab state, which was initially granted Sept. 3, 2015, citing an “ongoing armed conflict” that could “pose a serious threat” to Yemeni nationals if they were to return.
“After reviewing conditions in the country and consulting with appropriate U.S. government agencies, I determined that Yemen no longer meets the law’s requirement to be designated for Temporary Protected Status,” Noem said in a statement. “Allowing TPS Yemen beneficiaries to remain temporarily in the United States is contrary to our national interest. TPS was designed to be temporary, and this administration is returning TPS to its original temporary intent. We are prioritizing our national security interests and putting America first.”
Since 2015, Yemeni nationals have had TPS extended six times – most recently in 2024, the last year of former President Joe Biden’s presidency. His administration extended it three times.
DHS says that Yemen nationals with “no other lawful basis” for remaining in the U.S. have 60 days to “voluntarily” leave the country. The nationals are encouraged to utilize the U.S. Customs and Border Protection app, which “provides a safe, secure way to self-deport,” which includes a “complimentary plane ticket, a $2,600 exit bonus, and potential future opportunities for legal immigration.”
However, if they don’t leave, the Yemeni nationals in the country on TPS voluntarily, they are subject to being arrested and deported, and “may never be allowed to return to the United States.”
Event Calendar
Latest News Stories
Palatine teacher fired over anti-BLM posts turns to SCOTUS
Attorneys seek to remove prosecutors in Tyler Robinson trial
Plastic surgeons recommend delaying gender surgery until 19
Congress begins two-week battle over DHS funding bill
Chicago mayor defends ICE order, calls for progressive revenue from state taxpayers
Unrealized Education Department cuts cost taxpayers up to $38 million
Illinois Quick Hits: Illinois to join WHO’s alert network
GOP candidates for Illinois governor challenge Pritzker on state finances
Date set for Clintons to appear before House committee
Lawmaker says adopting federal ‘no tax on tips’ would help workers
AGs request probe into climate activists’ influence on Federal Judicial Center
Detroit judge among four charged with exploiting vulnerable adults