Ford returning to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran

Ford returning to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran

A second aircraft carrier is en route to the Middle East as tensions build with Iran, according to multiple reports.

The USS Gerald Ford, the newest and largest carrier in the fleet, is headed back to the Middle East after assisting with operations in the Caribbean, including Operation Absolute Resolve, which led to the capture of deposed Venezuelan leader Nicolas Mauro.

There was speculation that the USS George H.W. Bush could be deployed to the region, but it is completing pre-deployment workups off the Atlantic coast.

The USS Abraham Lincoln and its strike group are already deployed near Iran.

President Donald Trump met earlier this week with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House, marking their seventh meeting since Trump took office over a year ago.

In a social media post after the meeting, the president urged diplomacy with Iran, following a Wednesday meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. During an event at the White House Thursday, Trump told reporters he hopes a deal is made “quickly” with Iran, adding it could take a month.

Following the meeting with Netanyahu, Trump issued another stern warning to Iran if a deal has not been struck.

“If it cannot, we will just have to see what the outcome will be,” Trump wrote. “Last time Iran decided that they were better off not making a deal, and they were hit with Midnight Hammer – that did not work well for them. Hopefully this time they will be more reasonable and responsible.”

Talks between the U.S. and Iran have been ongoing in Oman since late last week. Tensions are growing.

Israel is reportedly concerned with not only Iran rebuilding its nuclear program, but also ballistic missiles and support for proxy groups, such as Hamas and Hezbollah.

While Trump won’t commit to whether the U.S. will strike Iran for the second time in less than a year, he continues to hurl threats at the Iranian regime, citing a large armada of American naval ships in the region, which has been growing.

Last week, the State Department warned Americans in the Islamic Republic to leave the country. Trump said Iran’s leadership “should be very worried” amid rumors that the talks had hit a snag; that was later rebuffed.

“I’m hearing that Iran wants to restart the new program,” Trump said in a network interview. “If that’s the case, we’ll send the forces to do the job again. They tried to go back to the site, but they couldn’t access it. We discovered that they wanted to open a nuclear site in another part of the country. I said, ‘You do that – we’ll do very bad things to you,’”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio has appeared less optimistic that the U.S. and Iran could reach a deal.

“If the Iranians want to meet, we’re ready,” Rubio said during a news conference at the State Department. “I’m not sure you can reach a deal with these guys, but we’re going to try to find out. This is a president that always prefers a peaceful outcome to any conflict or any challenge.”

Last week, the U.S. confirmed it had shot down two Iranian drones flying near the USS Abraham Lincoln, an aircraft carrier sailing in the region.

The president continues to cite the increasingly significant naval presence in the region, hoping to pressure the Islamic Republic to “make a deal.”

“It is moving quickly, with great power, enthusiasm, and purpose,” the president wrote on social media. “It is a larger fleet, headed by the great Aircraft Carrier Abraham Lincoln, than that sent to Venezuela. Like Venezuela, it is ready, willing, and able to rapidly fulfill its mission, with speed and violence, if necessary.”

The president is calling on Iran to “come to the table and negotiate a fair and equitable deal,” underscoring that the Islamic Republic cease trying to rebuild its nuclear program.

It’s unclear if the Ford will be deployed to the Mediterranean or will join the Lincoln in the Fifth Fleet Area of Command around the Persian Gulf.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Violence Interrupters, local activists lead CTA safety push

Violence Interrupters, local activists lead CTA safety push

By Glenn Minnis | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Violence Interrupters founder Tio Hardiman has joined with faith-based leaders and community activists across the city...
Illinois Quick Hits: Chicago man sentenced for sex trafficking

Illinois Quick Hits: Chicago man sentenced for sex trafficking

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A Chicago man has been sentenced to 28 years in federal prison for sex trafficking and kidnapping....
IMG_4391

North Monroe Business Awarded Facade Improvement Grant

Litchfield City Council Meeting | February 5, 2026 Article Summary: The Litchfield City Council approved a facade improvement grant to assist with renovations at 314 North Monroe Street. The TIF-funded...
Meeting Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: LLCC Board of Trustees for December 15, 2025

LLCC Board of Trustees Meeting | December 15, 2025 The Lincoln Land Community College Board of Trustees met on Monday, December 15, 2025, to handle end-of-year financial business and receive...
Chicago aldermen call out transportation dept. over Complete Streets, bike lanes

Chicago aldermen call out transportation dept. over Complete Streets, bike lanes

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A Chicago alderman says the city’s Complete Streets program is a disaster that’s costing taxpayers hundreds of...
Illinois quick hits: Moody's predicts static job growth in Illinois

Illinois quick hits: Moody’s predicts static job growth in Illinois

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Moody's predicts static job growth in Illinois According to a report prepared by Moody’s Analytics for the Illinois Commission on Government...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.4

Litchfield City Council Sets New Hunting Registration Rules, Allows Two Stands Per Hunter

Litchfield City Council Meeting | February 5, 2026 Article Summary: The Litchfield City Council on Thursday passed an ordinance establishing a mandatory registration system for hunters on city property. Following...
WATCH: LA leaders, lawmakers discuss wildfire legislation

WATCH: LA leaders, lawmakers discuss wildfire legislation

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square Insurance companies could be compelled to pay homeowners in Southern California who lost their homes in the January 2025 wildfires, if elected leaders have their...
'Fraud tourists' plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

‘Fraud tourists’ plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square Fraud investigations continue in Minnesota as the U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday two "fraud tourists" have pleaded guilty to stealing millions from taxpayers in...
Illinois lawmakers push uniform election reporting to enhance voter confidence

Illinois lawmakers push uniform election reporting to enhance voter confidence

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois lawmakers are considering legislation that would require local election authorities to report election data in...
GOP leaders eye second DHS funding stopgap after Dems reject White House offer

GOP leaders eye second DHS funding stopgap after Dems reject White House offer

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square With the deadline to fund the Department of Homeland Security only days away, Democrats have refused an offer from the White House to strike a...
Texas sheriff proposes bipartisan solution to border issue

Texas sheriff proposes bipartisan solution to border issue

By Bethany BlankleyThe Center Square As Congress debates Department of Homeland Security funding, bipartisan support could be reached in one area: establishing federal responsibility for recovering dead bodies in border...
Mills fires back at Oz threats of federal intervention

Mills fires back at Oz threats of federal intervention

By Chris WadeThe Center Square Maine Gov. Janet Mills is pushing back on the Trump administration's threats of a federal takeover if it doesn't turn over details of state Medicaid...
Trump warns Canada over bridge, deal he says will eliminate hockey

Trump warns Canada over bridge, deal he says will eliminate hockey

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square President Donald Trump warned Canada over plans for a bridge and a deal with China that he says would eliminate ice hockey and the Stanley...
FBI named high profile man 'co-conspirator' to Epstein, files show

FBI named high profile man ‘co-conspirator’ to Epstein, files show

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. Department of Justice unredacted portions of documents in the Jeffrey Epstein files with mentions of high profile figures at the request of Congressional...