Ford returning to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran

Ford returning to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran

A second aircraft carrier is en route to the Middle East as tensions build with Iran, according to multiple reports.

The USS Gerald Ford, the newest and largest carrier in the fleet, is headed back to the Middle East after assisting with operations in the Caribbean, including Operation Absolute Resolve, which led to the capture of deposed Venezuelan leader Nicolas Mauro.

There was speculation that the USS George H.W. Bush could be deployed to the region, but it is completing pre-deployment workups off the Atlantic coast.

The USS Abraham Lincoln and its strike group are already deployed near Iran.

President Donald Trump met earlier this week with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House, marking their seventh meeting since Trump took office over a year ago.

In a social media post after the meeting, the president urged diplomacy with Iran, following a Wednesday meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. During an event at the White House Thursday, Trump told reporters he hopes a deal is made “quickly” with Iran, adding it could take a month.

Following the meeting with Netanyahu, Trump issued another stern warning to Iran if a deal has not been struck.

“If it cannot, we will just have to see what the outcome will be,” Trump wrote. “Last time Iran decided that they were better off not making a deal, and they were hit with Midnight Hammer – that did not work well for them. Hopefully this time they will be more reasonable and responsible.”

Talks between the U.S. and Iran have been ongoing in Oman since late last week. Tensions are growing.

Israel is reportedly concerned with not only Iran rebuilding its nuclear program, but also ballistic missiles and support for proxy groups, such as Hamas and Hezbollah.

While Trump won’t commit to whether the U.S. will strike Iran for the second time in less than a year, he continues to hurl threats at the Iranian regime, citing a large armada of American naval ships in the region, which has been growing.

Last week, the State Department warned Americans in the Islamic Republic to leave the country. Trump said Iran’s leadership “should be very worried” amid rumors that the talks had hit a snag; that was later rebuffed.

“I’m hearing that Iran wants to restart the new program,” Trump said in a network interview. “If that’s the case, we’ll send the forces to do the job again. They tried to go back to the site, but they couldn’t access it. We discovered that they wanted to open a nuclear site in another part of the country. I said, ‘You do that – we’ll do very bad things to you,’”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio has appeared less optimistic that the U.S. and Iran could reach a deal.

“If the Iranians want to meet, we’re ready,” Rubio said during a news conference at the State Department. “I’m not sure you can reach a deal with these guys, but we’re going to try to find out. This is a president that always prefers a peaceful outcome to any conflict or any challenge.”

Last week, the U.S. confirmed it had shot down two Iranian drones flying near the USS Abraham Lincoln, an aircraft carrier sailing in the region.

The president continues to cite the increasingly significant naval presence in the region, hoping to pressure the Islamic Republic to “make a deal.”

“It is moving quickly, with great power, enthusiasm, and purpose,” the president wrote on social media. “It is a larger fleet, headed by the great Aircraft Carrier Abraham Lincoln, than that sent to Venezuela. Like Venezuela, it is ready, willing, and able to rapidly fulfill its mission, with speed and violence, if necessary.”

The president is calling on Iran to “come to the table and negotiate a fair and equitable deal,” underscoring that the Islamic Republic cease trying to rebuild its nuclear program.

It’s unclear if the Ford will be deployed to the Mediterranean or will join the Lincoln in the Fifth Fleet Area of Command around the Persian Gulf.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Illinois quick hits: Fatal police-involved shooting investigated

Illinois quick hits: Fatal police-involved shooting investigated

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Fatal police-involved shooting investigated Illinois State Police say they are investigating an officer-involved fatal shooting that took place Sunday night in...
Report: More people continue leaving Illinois than arriving

Report: More people continue leaving Illinois than arriving

By Glenn Minnis | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois state Rep. Martin McLaughlin argues lawmakers in Springfield only look in the mirror to come...
WATCH: Trump says U.S. will run Venezuela for foreseeable future

WATCH: Trump says U.S. will run Venezuela for foreseeable future

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square The U.S. will run Venezuela “until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition,” President Donald Trump said Saturday following the...
World leaders call for UN response after Maduro capture

World leaders call for UN response after Maduro capture

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square The international community is reacting to the news that President Donald Trump announced early in the morning on social media: The U.S. carried out a...
Democrats slam Venezuelan strikes, Maduro capture

Democrats slam Venezuelan strikes, Maduro capture

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Democratic lawmakers criticized President Donald Trump's announcement of land strikes against Venezuela and leader Nicolas Maduro's capture. In a post to social media, Trump announced...
Trump sheds more light on Venezuela strike, Maduro capture

Trump sheds more light on Venezuela strike, Maduro capture

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square President Donald Trump shed more light on the strikes on Venezuela and the operation to capture Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. During an interview on Fox...
Congressional Republicans support Venezuela strikes, Maduro capture

Congressional Republicans support Venezuela strikes, Maduro capture

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Republican leaders in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate are reacting to President Donald Trump's announcement of the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro...
With Maduro, wife in custody, Bondi says they will be tried on U.S. soil

With Maduro, wife in custody, Bondi says they will be tried on U.S. soil

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square Following U.S. strikes against Venezuela resulting in the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Attorney General Pam Bondi said Saturday the Maduros...
'Large scale strike' carried out against Venezuela; Maduro captured

‘Large scale strike’ carried out against Venezuela; Maduro captured

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square The U.S. carried out a “large scale strike against Venezuela” in the overnight hours Saturday, capturing Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, along with his wife, according...
Congress faces govt. shutdown date, health care bills, Epstein on return

Congress faces govt. shutdown date, health care bills, Epstein on return

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square Congress faces a mountain of political challenges when it resumes session next week, including a potential government shutdown, a health care affordability crisis, and the...
U.S. Senate races will decide balance of Congress in 2026

U.S. Senate races will decide balance of Congress in 2026

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. Senate could see a major shakeup in 2026 as Democrats and Republicans battle for control of Congress. In 2024, Republicans flipped the U.S....
9th Circuit rules against ban on open carry of firearms in most California counties

9th Circuit rules against ban on open carry of firearms in most California counties

By Dave MasonThe Center Square The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit Friday ruled against California’s ban on open carry of firearms in most counties. The San Francisco-based...
Trump: 'Illinois is worse' as HHS enforces verification for child care funding

Trump: ‘Illinois is worse’ as HHS enforces verification for child care funding

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says states will not receive matching child-care funds until...
Illinois quick hits: 700,000 customers' health information potentially exposed

Illinois quick hits: 700,000 customers’ health information potentially exposed

By The Center SquareThe Center Square IDHS announces health information potentially exposed Protected health information for more than 700,000 customers of rehabilitation services and Medicaid and Medicare savings programs may...
Trump vetoes bill easing repayment for Colorado pipeline

Trump vetoes bill easing repayment for Colorado pipeline

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square President Donald Trump issued the first vetoes of his second term Tuesday, blocking two bills that would have provided additional support for infrastructure projects in...