Ford returning to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran

Ford returning to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran

A second aircraft carrier is en route to the Middle East as tensions build with Iran, according to multiple reports.

The USS Gerald Ford, the newest and largest carrier in the fleet, is headed back to the Middle East after assisting with operations in the Caribbean, including Operation Absolute Resolve, which led to the capture of deposed Venezuelan leader Nicolas Mauro.

There was speculation that the USS George H.W. Bush could be deployed to the region, but it is completing pre-deployment workups off the Atlantic coast.

The USS Abraham Lincoln and its strike group are already deployed near Iran.

President Donald Trump met earlier this week with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House, marking their seventh meeting since Trump took office over a year ago.

In a social media post after the meeting, the president urged diplomacy with Iran, following a Wednesday meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. During an event at the White House Thursday, Trump told reporters he hopes a deal is made “quickly” with Iran, adding it could take a month.

Following the meeting with Netanyahu, Trump issued another stern warning to Iran if a deal has not been struck.

“If it cannot, we will just have to see what the outcome will be,” Trump wrote. “Last time Iran decided that they were better off not making a deal, and they were hit with Midnight Hammer – that did not work well for them. Hopefully this time they will be more reasonable and responsible.”

Talks between the U.S. and Iran have been ongoing in Oman since late last week. Tensions are growing.

Israel is reportedly concerned with not only Iran rebuilding its nuclear program, but also ballistic missiles and support for proxy groups, such as Hamas and Hezbollah.

While Trump won’t commit to whether the U.S. will strike Iran for the second time in less than a year, he continues to hurl threats at the Iranian regime, citing a large armada of American naval ships in the region, which has been growing.

Last week, the State Department warned Americans in the Islamic Republic to leave the country. Trump said Iran’s leadership “should be very worried” amid rumors that the talks had hit a snag; that was later rebuffed.

“I’m hearing that Iran wants to restart the new program,” Trump said in a network interview. “If that’s the case, we’ll send the forces to do the job again. They tried to go back to the site, but they couldn’t access it. We discovered that they wanted to open a nuclear site in another part of the country. I said, ‘You do that – we’ll do very bad things to you,’”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio has appeared less optimistic that the U.S. and Iran could reach a deal.

“If the Iranians want to meet, we’re ready,” Rubio said during a news conference at the State Department. “I’m not sure you can reach a deal with these guys, but we’re going to try to find out. This is a president that always prefers a peaceful outcome to any conflict or any challenge.”

Last week, the U.S. confirmed it had shot down two Iranian drones flying near the USS Abraham Lincoln, an aircraft carrier sailing in the region.

The president continues to cite the increasingly significant naval presence in the region, hoping to pressure the Islamic Republic to “make a deal.”

“It is moving quickly, with great power, enthusiasm, and purpose,” the president wrote on social media. “It is a larger fleet, headed by the great Aircraft Carrier Abraham Lincoln, than that sent to Venezuela. Like Venezuela, it is ready, willing, and able to rapidly fulfill its mission, with speed and violence, if necessary.”

The president is calling on Iran to “come to the table and negotiate a fair and equitable deal,” underscoring that the Islamic Republic cease trying to rebuild its nuclear program.

It’s unclear if the Ford will be deployed to the Mediterranean or will join the Lincoln in the Fifth Fleet Area of Command around the Persian Gulf.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Senate takes first vote to limit military action in Venezuela

Senate takes first vote to limit military action in Venezuela

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. Senate took a bipartisan step on Thursday to pass a resolution limiting President Donald Trump from the use of further military force in...
Dem officials urge Trump EPA to keep Biden’s PFAS rules

Dem officials urge Trump EPA to keep Biden’s PFAS rules

By John O’Brien | Legal NewslineThe Center Square Democrat state attorneys general are resisting changes made by the Trump administration that affect what companies must disclose about the use of...
Protests continue Thursday in Minneapolis; schools canceled

Protests continue Thursday in Minneapolis; schools canceled

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square (The Center Squares) – Protests continued Thursday after thousands of protesters took to the streets in Minneapolis on Wednesday night, rallying against ICE agents in...
IL lawmaker critical of ‘illegal orders’ video as Pentagon moves to punish senator

IL lawmaker critical of ‘illegal orders’ video as Pentagon moves to punish senator

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – An Illinois lawmaker and Air Force veteran says U.S. Sen. Mark Kelly’s call for troops to...
Illinois quick hits: Tax receipts increase $1.5 billion year-over-year

Illinois quick hits: Tax receipts increase $1.5 billion year-over-year

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Tax receipts increase $1.5 billion year-over-year Citing a report by the Illinois Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability, the National Federation...
WATCH: HHS tells Pritzker ‘show receipts’ on welfare spending; Energy bill to be signed

WATCH: HHS tells Pritzker ‘show receipts’ on welfare spending; Energy bill to be signed

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – In today's edition of Illinois in Focus Daily, The Center Square Editor Greg Bishop shares conversations about...
Cato scholar: Fraud being investigated in Minnesota likely occurring across U.S.

Cato scholar: Fraud being investigated in Minnesota likely occurring across U.S.

By Hayley FelandThe Center Square The widespread fraud in Minnesota that's made national headlines in recent weeks is likely occurring in states across the country, Cato Institute scholar Chris Edwards...
Supreme Court could rule on Trump's tariff authority Friday

Supreme Court could rule on Trump’s tariff authority Friday

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square The U.S. Supreme Court could issue a landmark ruling Friday on President Donald Trump's authority to use tariffs, potentially reshaping presidential power. Alan Morrison, a...
Arraignment postponed for Nick Reiner in murder trial

Arraignment postponed for Nick Reiner in murder trial

By Dave MasonThe Center Square Nick Reiner, charged with murdering his parents Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner, saw his arraignment postponed Wednesday after his second appearance in a downtown...
Court halts injunction on California gender secrecy policy

Court halts injunction on California gender secrecy policy

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square In Mirabelli v. Bonta, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit granted California’s emergency motion for a freeze, temporarily suspending a class-wide permanent...
Glen Ellyn can’t enforce Airbnb rules vs owner who says was target

Glen Ellyn can’t enforce Airbnb rules vs owner who says was target

By Scott Holland | Legal NewslineThe Center Square The operators of a Glen Ellyn Airbnb property have won an junction blocking the village from enforcing an ordinance controlling short-term rentals...

WATCH: Minn. agencies suppressed fraud reports, punished whistleblowers

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square Officials within the administration of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz enabled some of the state’s now estimated $9 billion in taxpayeer-funded social services fraud by suppressing...

WATCH: HHS tells Illinois ‘show us the receipts’ on welfare spending

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Nearly a billion federal taxpayer dollars for child care and family assistance programs are being withheld from...
Flags lowered on anniversary of Palisades, Eaton fires

Flags lowered on anniversary of Palisades, Eaton fires

By Dave MasonThe Center Square California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered flags lowered to half-staff Wednesday for all state buildings on the one-year anniversary of the devastating Los Angeles County wildfires....
Illinois quick hits: IG finds 26 cases of sexual misconduct at Chicago schools

Illinois quick hits: IG finds 26 cases of sexual misconduct at Chicago schools

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square IG finds 26 cases of sexual misconduct at Chicago schools The Office of Inspector General for the Chicago Board of Education...