Ford returning to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran

Ford returning to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran

A second aircraft carrier is en route to the Middle East as tensions build with Iran, according to multiple reports.

The USS Gerald Ford, the newest and largest carrier in the fleet, is headed back to the Middle East after assisting with operations in the Caribbean, including Operation Absolute Resolve, which led to the capture of deposed Venezuelan leader Nicolas Mauro.

There was speculation that the USS George H.W. Bush could be deployed to the region, but it is completing pre-deployment workups off the Atlantic coast.

The USS Abraham Lincoln and its strike group are already deployed near Iran.

President Donald Trump met earlier this week with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House, marking their seventh meeting since Trump took office over a year ago.

In a social media post after the meeting, the president urged diplomacy with Iran, following a Wednesday meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. During an event at the White House Thursday, Trump told reporters he hopes a deal is made “quickly” with Iran, adding it could take a month.

Following the meeting with Netanyahu, Trump issued another stern warning to Iran if a deal has not been struck.

“If it cannot, we will just have to see what the outcome will be,” Trump wrote. “Last time Iran decided that they were better off not making a deal, and they were hit with Midnight Hammer – that did not work well for them. Hopefully this time they will be more reasonable and responsible.”

Talks between the U.S. and Iran have been ongoing in Oman since late last week. Tensions are growing.

Israel is reportedly concerned with not only Iran rebuilding its nuclear program, but also ballistic missiles and support for proxy groups, such as Hamas and Hezbollah.

While Trump won’t commit to whether the U.S. will strike Iran for the second time in less than a year, he continues to hurl threats at the Iranian regime, citing a large armada of American naval ships in the region, which has been growing.

Last week, the State Department warned Americans in the Islamic Republic to leave the country. Trump said Iran’s leadership “should be very worried” amid rumors that the talks had hit a snag; that was later rebuffed.

“I’m hearing that Iran wants to restart the new program,” Trump said in a network interview. “If that’s the case, we’ll send the forces to do the job again. They tried to go back to the site, but they couldn’t access it. We discovered that they wanted to open a nuclear site in another part of the country. I said, ‘You do that – we’ll do very bad things to you,’”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio has appeared less optimistic that the U.S. and Iran could reach a deal.

“If the Iranians want to meet, we’re ready,” Rubio said during a news conference at the State Department. “I’m not sure you can reach a deal with these guys, but we’re going to try to find out. This is a president that always prefers a peaceful outcome to any conflict or any challenge.”

Last week, the U.S. confirmed it had shot down two Iranian drones flying near the USS Abraham Lincoln, an aircraft carrier sailing in the region.

The president continues to cite the increasingly significant naval presence in the region, hoping to pressure the Islamic Republic to “make a deal.”

“It is moving quickly, with great power, enthusiasm, and purpose,” the president wrote on social media. “It is a larger fleet, headed by the great Aircraft Carrier Abraham Lincoln, than that sent to Venezuela. Like Venezuela, it is ready, willing, and able to rapidly fulfill its mission, with speed and violence, if necessary.”

The president is calling on Iran to “come to the table and negotiate a fair and equitable deal,” underscoring that the Islamic Republic cease trying to rebuild its nuclear program.

It’s unclear if the Ford will be deployed to the Mediterranean or will join the Lincoln in the Fifth Fleet Area of Command around the Persian Gulf.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Attorneys file request to Supreme Court over gender secrecy

Attorneys file request to Supreme Court over gender secrecy

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square The Thomas More Society has filed an emergency application with the U.S. Supreme Court, requesting intervention in the Mirabelli v. Bonta lawsuit over gender secrecy...
Pritzker signs energy omnibus with new charge for ratepayers in 2030

Pritzker signs energy omnibus with new charge for ratepayers in 2030

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker has signed sweeping energy legislation that will add a new line item to Illinois...
Illinois quick hits: Primary election ballot certified; indictments increased in 2025

Illinois quick hits: Primary election ballot certified; indictments increased in 2025

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Primary election ballot certified The Illinois State Board of Elections certified the March 2026 primary ballot this week, removing several Republican...
Trump orders $200 billion mortgage bond buy to lower rates

Trump orders $200 billion mortgage bond buy to lower rates

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square President Donald Trump said Thursday afternoon that the federal government will buy $200 billion in mortgage bonds to bring down interest rates and monthly payments....
Coal and power groups back UP–Norfolk Southern rail merger

Coal and power groups back UP–Norfolk Southern rail merger

By Tom JoyceThe Center Square Several major coal producers and power industry groups are urging federal regulators to approve the proposed Union Pacific–Norfolk Southern merger. The producers argue that reliable...

WATCH: U.S. House votes to extend ACA subsidies, heads to Senate

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill to extend Affordable Care Act subsidies for another three years. The bill passed in a 230-196 vote...
Report details sexual abuse, falsified grant applications at Chicago Public Schools

Report details sexual abuse, falsified grant applications at Chicago Public Schools

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The Chicago Board of Education’s Office of Inspector General has released a report detailing falsified federal grant...
Signature shortfalls knock multiple candidates off Illinois ballot

Signature shortfalls knock multiple candidates off Illinois ballot

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The Illinois State Board of Elections certified the March 2026 primary ballot this week, removing several...

WATCH: Vance addresses Minneapolis shooting, questions leftwing influence

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square Vice President JD Vance on Thursday questioned potential leftwing involvement in the shooting death of a woman by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer in...
U.S. House clears $180B funding bills to avoid Jan. 30 shutdown

U.S. House clears $180B funding bills to avoid Jan. 30 shutdown

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday cleared three nearly $180 billion government funding bills that will take a step toward preventing a federal government...
IL state lawmaker pushes back as analysis finds municipalities lost $10.9B

IL state lawmaker pushes back as analysis finds municipalities lost $10.9B

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A new Illinois Policy Institute analysis estimates local governments have lost $10.9 billion since 2012 due...
Trump invites Colombian president to White House

Trump invites Colombian president to White House

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square In a matter of days, President Donald Trump has gone from threatening to strike Colombia to inviting its leader to the White House. Following a...
WATCH: Pritzker says receipts shown ‘all the time’ as audits show weaknesses

WATCH: Pritzker says receipts shown ‘all the time’ as audits show weaknesses

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker insists there’s not been any alleged fraud in Illinois that should cause the Trump...
Pro life org to Congress: Hyde Amendment is non-negotiable

Pro life org to Congress: Hyde Amendment is non-negotiable

By Tate MillerThe Center Square An American pro-life group told President Donald Trump and Congress that the Hyde Amendment is “non-negotiable,” following comments from the president that Republicans should be...
Florida joins redistricting push, schedules special session

Florida joins redistricting push, schedules special session

By Merrilee GasserThe Center Square Florida is joining a growing list of states seeking to redraw their congressional maps and gain an advantage in the November midterm elections. Gov. Ron...