Ford returning to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran

Ford returning to the Middle East as tensions rise with Iran

A second aircraft carrier is en route to the Middle East as tensions build with Iran, according to multiple reports.

The USS Gerald Ford, the newest and largest carrier in the fleet, is headed back to the Middle East after assisting with operations in the Caribbean, including Operation Absolute Resolve, which led to the capture of deposed Venezuelan leader Nicolas Mauro.

There was speculation that the USS George H.W. Bush could be deployed to the region, but it is completing pre-deployment workups off the Atlantic coast.

The USS Abraham Lincoln and its strike group are already deployed near Iran.

President Donald Trump met earlier this week with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House, marking their seventh meeting since Trump took office over a year ago.

In a social media post after the meeting, the president urged diplomacy with Iran, following a Wednesday meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. During an event at the White House Thursday, Trump told reporters he hopes a deal is made “quickly” with Iran, adding it could take a month.

Following the meeting with Netanyahu, Trump issued another stern warning to Iran if a deal has not been struck.

“If it cannot, we will just have to see what the outcome will be,” Trump wrote. “Last time Iran decided that they were better off not making a deal, and they were hit with Midnight Hammer – that did not work well for them. Hopefully this time they will be more reasonable and responsible.”

Talks between the U.S. and Iran have been ongoing in Oman since late last week. Tensions are growing.

Israel is reportedly concerned with not only Iran rebuilding its nuclear program, but also ballistic missiles and support for proxy groups, such as Hamas and Hezbollah.

While Trump won’t commit to whether the U.S. will strike Iran for the second time in less than a year, he continues to hurl threats at the Iranian regime, citing a large armada of American naval ships in the region, which has been growing.

Last week, the State Department warned Americans in the Islamic Republic to leave the country. Trump said Iran’s leadership “should be very worried” amid rumors that the talks had hit a snag; that was later rebuffed.

“I’m hearing that Iran wants to restart the new program,” Trump said in a network interview. “If that’s the case, we’ll send the forces to do the job again. They tried to go back to the site, but they couldn’t access it. We discovered that they wanted to open a nuclear site in another part of the country. I said, ‘You do that – we’ll do very bad things to you,’”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio has appeared less optimistic that the U.S. and Iran could reach a deal.

“If the Iranians want to meet, we’re ready,” Rubio said during a news conference at the State Department. “I’m not sure you can reach a deal with these guys, but we’re going to try to find out. This is a president that always prefers a peaceful outcome to any conflict or any challenge.”

Last week, the U.S. confirmed it had shot down two Iranian drones flying near the USS Abraham Lincoln, an aircraft carrier sailing in the region.

The president continues to cite the increasingly significant naval presence in the region, hoping to pressure the Islamic Republic to “make a deal.”

“It is moving quickly, with great power, enthusiasm, and purpose,” the president wrote on social media. “It is a larger fleet, headed by the great Aircraft Carrier Abraham Lincoln, than that sent to Venezuela. Like Venezuela, it is ready, willing, and able to rapidly fulfill its mission, with speed and violence, if necessary.”

The president is calling on Iran to “come to the table and negotiate a fair and equitable deal,” underscoring that the Islamic Republic cease trying to rebuild its nuclear program.

It’s unclear if the Ford will be deployed to the Mediterranean or will join the Lincoln in the Fifth Fleet Area of Command around the Persian Gulf.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

montgomery county Graphic Logo

County Engineer Raises Concerns Over “Irresponsible” Bridge Contractor

Montgomery County Board Meeting | December 9, 2025 Article Summary: The Montgomery County Board and its Roads & Bridges Committee addressed serious performance issues regarding a contractor currently working on...
montgomery county Graphic Logo.2

Board Approves New Labor Contracts for Circuit Clerk, Assessment Employees

Montgomery County Board Meeting | December 9, 2025 Article Summary: The Montgomery County Board approved two new collective bargaining agreements covering employees in the Circuit Clerk’s and Supervisor of Assessments’...
Litchfield Park-Graphic Logo.4

Litchfield Park District Weighs Contracting Concrete Work for Facility Upgrades

Litchfield Park District Meeting | Jan. 7, 2026 Article Summary: The Litchfield Park District Board of Commissioners discussed infrastructure updates during their January meeting, specifically regarding delays with the new...
Meeting Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: City of Litchfield for January 6, 2026

City of Litchfield Meeting | January 6, 2026 The Litchfield City Council met on Tuesday, January 6, 2026, for a session dominated by infrastructure and traffic concerns. The council rejected...
Retirements and resignations to impact midterms as balance of power at stake

Retirements and resignations to impact midterms as balance of power at stake

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Over the past several months, politicians once regarded as central to their party have bowed out of reelection campaigns or resigned from their positions altogether....
U.S. Supreme Court to hear anti-oil cases with energy costs on the line

U.S. Supreme Court to hear anti-oil cases with energy costs on the line

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Energy advocates have been warning against green energy demands driving up prices across the country. As anti-oil and gas activists seek legal pathways to straddle...
Constitutional concerns raised over Illinois' first civil hate crime case

Constitutional concerns raised over Illinois’ first civil hate crime case

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A former Illinois attorney general candidate says the state’s first civil hate crime lawsuit, while based...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.4

Residents Voice Frustrations Over Oil and Chip Street Conditions

City of Litchfield Meeting | January 6, 2026 Article Summary: Several residents approached the Litchfield City Council to complain about the poor condition of streets following recent oil and chip...
Newsom predicts smaller budget shortfall than state agency

Newsom predicts smaller budget shortfall than state agency

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square In his proposed budget, California Gov. Gavin Newsom is predicting a shortfall of $2.9 billion. That's much less than the $18 billion shortfall projected by...
Colorado ordered to pay $5.4M after abortion law blocked

Colorado ordered to pay $5.4M after abortion law blocked

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square Colorado must pay back legal fees after it was sued for a law banning abortion pill reversals, a federal court ruled this week. The state...
Four Republicans certified for primary to take on Pritzker

Four Republicans certified for primary to take on Pritzker

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The Republican primary election for who will take on Gov. J.B. Pritzker in November is set. Democrats...
Illinois quick hits: State sues over frozen funds; Nicor Gas seeks rate hike

Illinois quick hits: State sues over frozen funds; Nicor Gas seeks rate hike

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square State sues over frozen funds Illinois is one of five states suing the Trump administration over a freeze of more than...
Treasury, IRS ramp up investigation into Minnesota fraud

Treasury, IRS ramp up investigation into Minnesota fraud

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square The administration continues to ramp up its response to the massive social services fraud in Minnesota, with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent enumerating steps his department...
Tariff authority decision still awaited from Supreme Court

Tariff authority decision still awaited from Supreme Court

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square Tariff authority by second-term Republican President Donald Trump was not decided by the U.S. Supreme Court on Friday, meaning the federal government can continue to...
Minneapolis schools offer remote learning while ICE operations continue

Minneapolis schools offer remote learning while ICE operations continue

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square Minneapolis Public Schools can choose remote learning for at least a month in the wake of the shooting of Renee Good by an ICE officer...