Trump holding out hope deal can be reached with Iran

Trump holding out hope deal can be reached with Iran

President Donald Trump is urging diplomacy with Iran following a meeting Wednesday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The allies met for a seventh time since the second-term Republican returned to the White House.

In a social media post, the president described the meeting as “very good,” while insisting that “negotiations with Iran continue” to determine whether a deal can be struck with the Islamic Republic.

“If it cannot, we will just have to see what the outcome will be,” Trump wrote. “Last time Iran decided that they were better off not making a deal, and they were hit with Midnight Hammer – that did not work well for them. Hopefully this time they will be more reasonable and responsible.”

The president is weighing an option of deploying a second aircraft carrier and strike group to the Middle East, signaling that another military strike could be on the table. He said, in an interview Tuesday, he would consider the move if the talks with the Islamic Republic fail.

Talks between the U.S. and Iran have been ongoing in Oman since late last week. Tensions are growing.

Israel is reportedly concerned with not only Iran rebuilding its nuclear program, but also ballistic missiles and support for proxy groups, such as Hamas and Hezbollah.

While Trump won’t commit to whether the U.S. will strike Iran for the second time in less than a year, he continues to hurl threats at the Iranian regime, citing a large armada of American naval ships in the region, which has been growing.

Last week, the State Department warned Americans in the Islamic Republic to leave the country. Trump said Iran’s leadership “should be very worried” amid rumors that the talks had hit a snag; that was later rebuffed.

“I’m hearing that Iran wants to restart the new program,” Trump said in a network interview. “If that’s the case, we’ll send the forces to do the job again. They tried to go back to the site, but they couldn’t access it. We discovered that they wanted to open a nuclear site in another part of the country. I said, ‘You do that – we’ll do very bad things to you,’”

The president insists Operation Midnight Hammer, when the U.S. struck Iran’s nuclear sites in June, was a necessary step in pursuing peace in the Middle East.

“If we didn’t take out that nuclear, we wouldn’t have peace in the Middle East, because the Arab countries could’ve never done that,” Trump added. “They were very afraid of Iran. They’re not afraid of Iran anymore.”

During a press conference at the State Department last week, Secretary of State Marco Rubio appeared less optimistic that the U.S. and Iran could reach a deal.

“If the Iranians want to meet, we’re ready,” Rubio said. “I’m not sure you can reach a deal with these guys, but we’re going to try to find out. This is a president that always prefers a peaceful outcome to any conflict or any challenge.”

Last week, the U.S. confirmed it had shot down two Iranian drones flying near the USS Abraham Lincoln, an aircraft carrier sailing in the region.

It is not clear which carrier and strike group would be deployed to join the Lincoln in the Fifth Fleet. The USS Gerald Ford is deployed to the Caribbean to support counter-narco operations in the region.

Norfolk-homeported USS George H.W. Bush could be among contenders. The U.S. Naval Institute reported earlier in the week that the ship was spotted underway in the Western Atlantic.

The president continues to cite the increasingly significant naval presence in the region, hoping to pressure the Islamic Republic to “make a deal.”

“It is moving quickly, with great power, enthusiasm, and purpose,” the president wrote on social media. “It is a larger fleet, headed by the great Aircraft Carrier Abraham Lincoln, than that sent to Venezuela. Like Venezuela, it is ready, willing, and able to rapidly fulfill its mission, with speed and violence, if necessary.”

The president is calling on Iran to “come to the table and negotiate a fair and equitable deal,” underscoring that the Islamic Republic cease trying to rebuild its nuclear program.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Trump administration sued for freezing child care funds

Trump administration sued for freezing child care funds

By Chris WadeThe Center Square New York is leading four other states in suing the Trump administration over a freeze of more than $10 billion in federal funding for child...
Minnesota authorities cut out of ICE shooting investigation

Minnesota authorities cut out of ICE shooting investigation

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriaty said the community could be left in the dark after the FBI refused to cooperate with local authorities to investigate...
WATCH: SCOTUS considers gun ban; Pritzker responds to funding freeze; Bailey’s blueprint

WATCH: SCOTUS considers gun ban; Pritzker responds to funding freeze; Bailey’s blueprint

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – In today's edition of Illinois in Focus Daily, The Center Square Editor Greg Bishop discusses the status...
Illinois quick hits: Killeen stepping down from U of I in 2027

Illinois quick hits: Killeen stepping down from U of I in 2027

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Killeen stepping down from U of I in 2027 University of Illinois System President Tim Killeen says he stepping down at...
Op-Ed: The Supreme Court must stop Louisiana’s retroactive lawsuits

Op-Ed: The Supreme Court must stop Louisiana’s retroactive lawsuits

By John ShuThe Center Square On Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in Chevron v. Plaquemines Parish on a threshold jurisdictional question. The Court’s answer could have...
Trump requests $6.2M in attorney fees from Fulton County

Trump requests $6.2M in attorney fees from Fulton County

By Kim JarrettThe Center Square A 222-page document filed in Fulton County Superior Court outlines President Donald Trump's $6.2 million in legal fees spent defending himself in an election interference...
U.S. economy added more than 500,000 jobs in 2025

U.S. economy added more than 500,000 jobs in 2025

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. economy added 50,000 jobs in December, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics. The rate of job growth has remained steady over the past...
Trump eyes striking Mexican cartels

Trump eyes striking Mexican cartels

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square President Donald Trump says he will be expanding the war on drugs in Latin America, striking targets south of the border. During an interview with...
Robots and AI dominate major trade show in Las Vegas

Robots and AI dominate major trade show in Las Vegas

By Liam HibbertThe Center Square Make way for the robots. Artificial intelligence is front and center at the famed Consumer Electronics Show, which took over Las Vegas this week at...
Mike Tyson, Ric Flair accuse ex-CBD products partners of $50M+ fraud

Mike Tyson, Ric Flair accuse ex-CBD products partners of $50M+ fraud

By Scott Holland | Legal NewslineThe Center Square Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson and WWE professional wrestler Ric Flair are leading a lawsuit they say is worth at least...
WATCH: Newsom says he's an alternate to White House 'chaos' in his final State of the State

WATCH: Newsom says he’s an alternate to White House ‘chaos’ in his final State of the State

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square In California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s final State of the State address Thursday, the potential presidential candidate positioned himself as an alternative to what he described...
Prosecutor calls Newsom 'king of fraud' for oversight failures

Prosecutor calls Newsom ‘king of fraud’ for oversight failures

By Dave MasonThe Center Square Editor's note: This story was updated since its initial publication with information from the White House. U.S. First Assistant Attorney Bill Essayli Thursday called California...
Seattle’s new mayor has no plans to look into possible local daycare fraud

Seattle’s new mayor has no plans to look into possible local daycare fraud

By Brett DavisThe Center Square It seems new Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson has no plans in her capacity as such to investigate allegations of local daycare fraud. When asked by...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.3

Litchfield Council Rejects One-Way Street Proposal for Post Office

City of Litchfield Meeting | January 6, 2026 Article Summary: The Litchfield City Council voted down a proposal to convert Kirkham Street into a one-way thoroughfare, a change requested by...
Foreign national charged with having gun near ICE agents in Chicago

Foreign national charged with having gun near ICE agents in Chicago

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A Mexican national has been charged with illegally possessing and firing a loaded handgun in Chicago near...