'Fraud tourists' plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

‘Fraud tourists’ plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

Fraud investigations continue in Minnesota as the U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday two “fraud tourists” have pleaded guilty to stealing millions from taxpayers in the North Star state.

The two Pennsylvania men defrauded Minnesota’s Housing Stabilization Services program of about $3.5 million.

Initially launched in 2020 to help seniors and people with disabilities find and maintain housing, the state ended the short-lived program in 2025 after it saw an exponential growth in payouts with little oversight. Initially estimated to cost less than $3 million each year, it swelled to about $104 million in 2024.

The case, which is part of a collaboration between the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota and the DOJ’s Criminal Division’s Fraud Section, is just one of many currently being pursued by the Trump administration.

“Minnesota will no longer be a haven for fraud under our watch,” said U.S. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche. “The Justice Department has been investigating billions in taxpayer fraud across the country and has already successfully convicted 66 individuals and counting in Minnesota.”

Federal officials have promised more charges.

“Criminal fraud not only robs taxpayers – it shatters trust in our institutions. Under President Trump’s leadership, yesterday’s convictions are just the beginning,” said U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi. “Our prosecutors will work tirelessly to unravel criminal fraud schemes and charge their perpetrators in Minnesota and across the country.”

According to court documents, Anthony Waddell Jefferson and Lester Brown set up businesses in Minneapolis and enrolled as HSS program providers. Despite both living in Philadelphia, they allegedly would occasionally travel to Minnesota to find homeless individuals and others to sign up for housing assistance they would not use. Jefferson and Brown then pocketed the payouts.

In total, from February 2022 through June 2025, Jefferson and Brown stole about $3.5 million – claiming to help about 230 clients. Both men pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

While a Minnesota-based program, taxpayers across the nation were also helping fund the HSS program as it was part of the state’s Medicaid program.

“These defendants had no connection to Minnesota or its communities. They traveled across the country for one purpose: to prey upon and steal millions in taxpayer dollars meant for people struggling with homelessness, addiction and disabilities,” said DOJ Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva. “Although programs like HSS are run by the states, they are funded with federal tax dollars. The Criminal Division will not stand by while fraudsters put all Americans’ tax dollars at risk.”

The firestorm first broke about the Minneapolis fraud cases following the release of reports in late November which alleged that millions of taxpayer dollars had been fraudulently stolen from the Minnesota welfare system and then sent to the Somali-based terror group Al-Shabaab.

That was according to original reporting from Chris Rufo and Ryan Thorpe that was published in City Journal. It detailed how, throughout the fall, the then-acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Joe Thompson, was investigating several different cases of fraud in the state. At that time, Thompson called it a “crisis.”

There have been many federal committee hearings regarding the fraud and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison will both appear before the U.S. House Oversight Committee in March.

In one hearing regarding the ongoing Minnesota fraud scandal in January, Democrats on the committee defended Minnesota Democrats and accused President Donald Trump of having a double standard when it comes to addressing fraud.

“Minnesota lawmakers have also taken steps to reduce fraud in their state, strengthening the state’s ability to stop potential fraud sooner and improving investigations to hold those scammers accountable. President Trump has taken a very different approach to fraud,” said U.S. Rep. Lucy McBath, D-Georgia and ranking member on the committee. “We know this hearing is not really about fraud. It is about trust. The Trump administration does not want you to trust these programs, because if you don’t trust them, they’re easier to destroy.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Illinois quick hits: Fatal police-involved shooting investigated

Illinois quick hits: Fatal police-involved shooting investigated

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Fatal police-involved shooting investigated Illinois State Police say they are investigating an officer-involved fatal shooting that took place Sunday night in...
Report: More people continue leaving Illinois than arriving

Report: More people continue leaving Illinois than arriving

By Glenn Minnis | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois state Rep. Martin McLaughlin argues lawmakers in Springfield only look in the mirror to come...
WATCH: Trump says U.S. will run Venezuela for foreseeable future

WATCH: Trump says U.S. will run Venezuela for foreseeable future

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square The U.S. will run Venezuela “until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition,” President Donald Trump said Saturday following the...
World leaders call for UN response after Maduro capture

World leaders call for UN response after Maduro capture

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square The international community is reacting to the news that President Donald Trump announced early in the morning on social media: The U.S. carried out a...
Democrats slam Venezuelan strikes, Maduro capture

Democrats slam Venezuelan strikes, Maduro capture

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Democratic lawmakers criticized President Donald Trump's announcement of land strikes against Venezuela and leader Nicolas Maduro's capture. In a post to social media, Trump announced...
Trump sheds more light on Venezuela strike, Maduro capture

Trump sheds more light on Venezuela strike, Maduro capture

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square President Donald Trump shed more light on the strikes on Venezuela and the operation to capture Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. During an interview on Fox...
Congressional Republicans support Venezuela strikes, Maduro capture

Congressional Republicans support Venezuela strikes, Maduro capture

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Republican leaders in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate are reacting to President Donald Trump's announcement of the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro...
With Maduro, wife in custody, Bondi says they will be tried on U.S. soil

With Maduro, wife in custody, Bondi says they will be tried on U.S. soil

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square Following U.S. strikes against Venezuela resulting in the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Attorney General Pam Bondi said Saturday the Maduros...
'Large scale strike' carried out against Venezuela; Maduro captured

‘Large scale strike’ carried out against Venezuela; Maduro captured

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square The U.S. carried out a “large scale strike against Venezuela” in the overnight hours Saturday, capturing Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, along with his wife, according...
Congress faces govt. shutdown date, health care bills, Epstein on return

Congress faces govt. shutdown date, health care bills, Epstein on return

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square Congress faces a mountain of political challenges when it resumes session next week, including a potential government shutdown, a health care affordability crisis, and the...
U.S. Senate races will decide balance of Congress in 2026

U.S. Senate races will decide balance of Congress in 2026

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. Senate could see a major shakeup in 2026 as Democrats and Republicans battle for control of Congress. In 2024, Republicans flipped the U.S....
9th Circuit rules against ban on open carry of firearms in most California counties

9th Circuit rules against ban on open carry of firearms in most California counties

By Dave MasonThe Center Square The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit Friday ruled against California’s ban on open carry of firearms in most counties. The San Francisco-based...
Trump: 'Illinois is worse' as HHS enforces verification for child care funding

Trump: ‘Illinois is worse’ as HHS enforces verification for child care funding

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says states will not receive matching child-care funds until...
Illinois quick hits: 700,000 customers' health information potentially exposed

Illinois quick hits: 700,000 customers’ health information potentially exposed

By The Center SquareThe Center Square IDHS announces health information potentially exposed Protected health information for more than 700,000 customers of rehabilitation services and Medicaid and Medicare savings programs may...
Trump vetoes bill easing repayment for Colorado pipeline

Trump vetoes bill easing repayment for Colorado pipeline

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square President Donald Trump issued the first vetoes of his second term Tuesday, blocking two bills that would have provided additional support for infrastructure projects in...