'Fraud tourists' plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

‘Fraud tourists’ plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

Fraud investigations continue in Minnesota as the U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday two “fraud tourists” have pleaded guilty to stealing millions from taxpayers in the North Star state.

The two Pennsylvania men defrauded Minnesota’s Housing Stabilization Services program of about $3.5 million.

Initially launched in 2020 to help seniors and people with disabilities find and maintain housing, the state ended the short-lived program in 2025 after it saw an exponential growth in payouts with little oversight. Initially estimated to cost less than $3 million each year, it swelled to about $104 million in 2024.

The case, which is part of a collaboration between the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota and the DOJ’s Criminal Division’s Fraud Section, is just one of many currently being pursued by the Trump administration.

“Minnesota will no longer be a haven for fraud under our watch,” said U.S. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche. “The Justice Department has been investigating billions in taxpayer fraud across the country and has already successfully convicted 66 individuals and counting in Minnesota.”

Federal officials have promised more charges.

“Criminal fraud not only robs taxpayers – it shatters trust in our institutions. Under President Trump’s leadership, yesterday’s convictions are just the beginning,” said U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi. “Our prosecutors will work tirelessly to unravel criminal fraud schemes and charge their perpetrators in Minnesota and across the country.”

According to court documents, Anthony Waddell Jefferson and Lester Brown set up businesses in Minneapolis and enrolled as HSS program providers. Despite both living in Philadelphia, they allegedly would occasionally travel to Minnesota to find homeless individuals and others to sign up for housing assistance they would not use. Jefferson and Brown then pocketed the payouts.

In total, from February 2022 through June 2025, Jefferson and Brown stole about $3.5 million – claiming to help about 230 clients. Both men pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

While a Minnesota-based program, taxpayers across the nation were also helping fund the HSS program as it was part of the state’s Medicaid program.

“These defendants had no connection to Minnesota or its communities. They traveled across the country for one purpose: to prey upon and steal millions in taxpayer dollars meant for people struggling with homelessness, addiction and disabilities,” said DOJ Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva. “Although programs like HSS are run by the states, they are funded with federal tax dollars. The Criminal Division will not stand by while fraudsters put all Americans’ tax dollars at risk.”

The firestorm first broke about the Minneapolis fraud cases following the release of reports in late November which alleged that millions of taxpayer dollars had been fraudulently stolen from the Minnesota welfare system and then sent to the Somali-based terror group Al-Shabaab.

That was according to original reporting from Chris Rufo and Ryan Thorpe that was published in City Journal. It detailed how, throughout the fall, the then-acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Joe Thompson, was investigating several different cases of fraud in the state. At that time, Thompson called it a “crisis.”

There have been many federal committee hearings regarding the fraud and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison will both appear before the U.S. House Oversight Committee in March.

In one hearing regarding the ongoing Minnesota fraud scandal in January, Democrats on the committee defended Minnesota Democrats and accused President Donald Trump of having a double standard when it comes to addressing fraud.

“Minnesota lawmakers have also taken steps to reduce fraud in their state, strengthening the state’s ability to stop potential fraud sooner and improving investigations to hold those scammers accountable. President Trump has taken a very different approach to fraud,” said U.S. Rep. Lucy McBath, D-Georgia and ranking member on the committee. “We know this hearing is not really about fraud. It is about trust. The Trump administration does not want you to trust these programs, because if you don’t trust them, they’re easier to destroy.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Federal funding bill decreases spending, limits firing power

Federal funding bill decreases spending, limits firing power

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to pass a funding bill on Thursday that would take a step toward averting a partial government shutdown...
IL House speaker signals insurance regulation described as 'ill-advised'

IL House speaker signals insurance regulation described as ‘ill-advised’

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The speaker of the Illinois House is signaling that insurance regulation will be a priority for state...
Logan County native urges oversight of proposed $5B IL data center

Logan County native urges oversight of proposed $5B IL data center

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Logan County residents are opposing a proposed 250-acre data center in Illinois, raising concerns about farmland...
Feds freeze $10B in aid to Colorado, four other states

Feds freeze $10B in aid to Colorado, four other states

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square The Trump administration froze certain federal funding to Colorado this week amid growing national concerns about fraud in government-funded programs. The U.S. Department of Health...
Republicans go on attack in hearing over $9 billion of social services fraud

Republicans go on attack in hearing over $9 billion of social services fraud

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square Democratic Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and the state attorney general were either “complicit” in the now-estimated $9 billion of social services fraud that has taken...
Trump admin dietary guidelines prioritize protein, avoid added sugars

Trump admin dietary guidelines prioritize protein, avoid added sugars

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The Trump administration on Wednesday released new dietary guidelines alongside an updated food pyramid that prioritizes protein, dairy, fruits and vegetables. The federal government is...
State leaders slam $10 billion child care freeze, promise action

State leaders slam $10 billion child care freeze, promise action

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square State lawmakers slammed the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services after it announced it would freeze more than $10 billion in taxpayer dollars to...
'Implicit bias' training mandate among new health care-related laws in Illinois

‘Implicit bias’ training mandate among new health care-related laws in Illinois

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A number of new health care-related laws have taken effect in Illinois, including one that mandates implicit...
GOP lawmaker calls for U.S. to destroy more drug cartels

GOP lawmaker calls for U.S. to destroy more drug cartels

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square A Florida Republican said Wednesday the U.S. must bring the fight over illegal drugs to other cartels after the ouster of Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro....
WATCH: Child care funding freeze; Trump rebuts Jan. 6 testimony from Kinzinger, Pelosi

WATCH: Child care funding freeze; Trump rebuts Jan. 6 testimony from Kinzinger, Pelosi

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – In today's edition of Illinois in Focus Daily, The Center Square Editor Greg Bishop airs highlights from...
U.S. seizes two 'sanctioned' ships

U.S. seizes two ‘sanctioned’ ships

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square After the weekend strikes in Venezuela and the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, the U.S. continues to seize sanctioned vessels operating in the Caribbean...
Illinois quick hits: Pritzker reacts to HHS funding freeze; Chicago crime dashboard released

Illinois quick hits: Pritzker reacts to HHS funding freeze; Chicago crime dashboard released

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Pritzker reacts to HHS funding freeze The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has frozen access to about $10 billion...
Convicted murderer can’t use IL juvy reform law to win chance at parole

Convicted murderer can’t use IL juvy reform law to win chance at parole

By Jonathan Bilyk | Legal NewslineThe Center Square A Chicago gang member in the midst of a 40-year sentence for shooting and killing an innocent man while the other man...
Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis pushes back on federal oil drilling

Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis pushes back on federal oil drilling

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square California Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis, along with other state officials and environmental advocates, announced her opposition Tuesday afternoon to President Donald Trump’s efforts to expand...
Flags flown at half-staff in Sacramento in LaMalfa's honor

Flags flown at half-staff in Sacramento in LaMalfa’s honor

By Dave MasonThe Center Square California Gov. Gavin Newsom Tuesday ordered flags in Sacramento flown at half-staff at the Capitol and Capitol Annex Swing Space in honor of U.S. Rep....