'Fraud tourists' plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

‘Fraud tourists’ plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

Fraud investigations continue in Minnesota as the U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday two “fraud tourists” have pleaded guilty to stealing millions from taxpayers in the North Star state.

The two Pennsylvania men defrauded Minnesota’s Housing Stabilization Services program of about $3.5 million.

Initially launched in 2020 to help seniors and people with disabilities find and maintain housing, the state ended the short-lived program in 2025 after it saw an exponential growth in payouts with little oversight. Initially estimated to cost less than $3 million each year, it swelled to about $104 million in 2024.

The case, which is part of a collaboration between the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota and the DOJ’s Criminal Division’s Fraud Section, is just one of many currently being pursued by the Trump administration.

“Minnesota will no longer be a haven for fraud under our watch,” said U.S. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche. “The Justice Department has been investigating billions in taxpayer fraud across the country and has already successfully convicted 66 individuals and counting in Minnesota.”

Federal officials have promised more charges.

“Criminal fraud not only robs taxpayers – it shatters trust in our institutions. Under President Trump’s leadership, yesterday’s convictions are just the beginning,” said U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi. “Our prosecutors will work tirelessly to unravel criminal fraud schemes and charge their perpetrators in Minnesota and across the country.”

According to court documents, Anthony Waddell Jefferson and Lester Brown set up businesses in Minneapolis and enrolled as HSS program providers. Despite both living in Philadelphia, they allegedly would occasionally travel to Minnesota to find homeless individuals and others to sign up for housing assistance they would not use. Jefferson and Brown then pocketed the payouts.

In total, from February 2022 through June 2025, Jefferson and Brown stole about $3.5 million – claiming to help about 230 clients. Both men pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

While a Minnesota-based program, taxpayers across the nation were also helping fund the HSS program as it was part of the state’s Medicaid program.

“These defendants had no connection to Minnesota or its communities. They traveled across the country for one purpose: to prey upon and steal millions in taxpayer dollars meant for people struggling with homelessness, addiction and disabilities,” said DOJ Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva. “Although programs like HSS are run by the states, they are funded with federal tax dollars. The Criminal Division will not stand by while fraudsters put all Americans’ tax dollars at risk.”

The firestorm first broke about the Minneapolis fraud cases following the release of reports in late November which alleged that millions of taxpayer dollars had been fraudulently stolen from the Minnesota welfare system and then sent to the Somali-based terror group Al-Shabaab.

That was according to original reporting from Chris Rufo and Ryan Thorpe that was published in City Journal. It detailed how, throughout the fall, the then-acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Joe Thompson, was investigating several different cases of fraud in the state. At that time, Thompson called it a “crisis.”

There have been many federal committee hearings regarding the fraud and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison will both appear before the U.S. House Oversight Committee in March.

In one hearing regarding the ongoing Minnesota fraud scandal in January, Democrats on the committee defended Minnesota Democrats and accused President Donald Trump of having a double standard when it comes to addressing fraud.

“Minnesota lawmakers have also taken steps to reduce fraud in their state, strengthening the state’s ability to stop potential fraud sooner and improving investigations to hold those scammers accountable. President Trump has taken a very different approach to fraud,” said U.S. Rep. Lucy McBath, D-Georgia and ranking member on the committee. “We know this hearing is not really about fraud. It is about trust. The Trump administration does not want you to trust these programs, because if you don’t trust them, they’re easier to destroy.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Florida joins redistricting push, schedules special session

Florida joins redistricting push, schedules special session

By Merrilee GasserThe Center Square Florida is joining a growing list of states seeking to redraw their congressional maps and gain an advantage in the November midterm elections. Gov. Ron...
Senate takes first vote to limit military action in Venezuela

Senate takes first vote to limit military action in Venezuela

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. Senate took a bipartisan step on Thursday to pass a resolution limiting President Donald Trump from the use of further military force in...
Dem officials urge Trump EPA to keep Biden’s PFAS rules

Dem officials urge Trump EPA to keep Biden’s PFAS rules

By John O’Brien | Legal NewslineThe Center Square Democrat state attorneys general are resisting changes made by the Trump administration that affect what companies must disclose about the use of...
Protests continue Thursday in Minneapolis; schools canceled

Protests continue Thursday in Minneapolis; schools canceled

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square (The Center Squares) – Protests continued Thursday after thousands of protesters took to the streets in Minneapolis on Wednesday night, rallying against ICE agents in...
IL lawmaker critical of ‘illegal orders’ video as Pentagon moves to punish senator

IL lawmaker critical of ‘illegal orders’ video as Pentagon moves to punish senator

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – An Illinois lawmaker and Air Force veteran says U.S. Sen. Mark Kelly’s call for troops to...
Illinois quick hits: Tax receipts increase $1.5 billion year-over-year

Illinois quick hits: Tax receipts increase $1.5 billion year-over-year

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Tax receipts increase $1.5 billion year-over-year Citing a report by the Illinois Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability, the National Federation...
WATCH: HHS tells Pritzker ‘show receipts’ on welfare spending; Energy bill to be signed

WATCH: HHS tells Pritzker ‘show receipts’ on welfare spending; Energy bill to be signed

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – In today's edition of Illinois in Focus Daily, The Center Square Editor Greg Bishop shares conversations about...
Cato scholar: Fraud being investigated in Minnesota likely occurring across U.S.

Cato scholar: Fraud being investigated in Minnesota likely occurring across U.S.

By Hayley FelandThe Center Square The widespread fraud in Minnesota that's made national headlines in recent weeks is likely occurring in states across the country, Cato Institute scholar Chris Edwards...
Supreme Court could rule on Trump's tariff authority Friday

Supreme Court could rule on Trump’s tariff authority Friday

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square The U.S. Supreme Court could issue a landmark ruling Friday on President Donald Trump's authority to use tariffs, potentially reshaping presidential power. Alan Morrison, a...
Arraignment postponed for Nick Reiner in murder trial

Arraignment postponed for Nick Reiner in murder trial

By Dave MasonThe Center Square Nick Reiner, charged with murdering his parents Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner, saw his arraignment postponed Wednesday after his second appearance in a downtown...
Court halts injunction on California gender secrecy policy

Court halts injunction on California gender secrecy policy

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square In Mirabelli v. Bonta, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit granted California’s emergency motion for a freeze, temporarily suspending a class-wide permanent...
Glen Ellyn can’t enforce Airbnb rules vs owner who says was target

Glen Ellyn can’t enforce Airbnb rules vs owner who says was target

By Scott Holland | Legal NewslineThe Center Square The operators of a Glen Ellyn Airbnb property have won an junction blocking the village from enforcing an ordinance controlling short-term rentals...

WATCH: Minn. agencies suppressed fraud reports, punished whistleblowers

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square Officials within the administration of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz enabled some of the state’s now estimated $9 billion in taxpayeer-funded social services fraud by suppressing...

WATCH: HHS tells Illinois ‘show us the receipts’ on welfare spending

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Nearly a billion federal taxpayer dollars for child care and family assistance programs are being withheld from...
Flags lowered on anniversary of Palisades, Eaton fires

Flags lowered on anniversary of Palisades, Eaton fires

By Dave MasonThe Center Square California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered flags lowered to half-staff Wednesday for all state buildings on the one-year anniversary of the devastating Los Angeles County wildfires....