'Fraud tourists' plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

‘Fraud tourists’ plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

Fraud investigations continue in Minnesota as the U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday two “fraud tourists” have pleaded guilty to stealing millions from taxpayers in the North Star state.

The two Pennsylvania men defrauded Minnesota’s Housing Stabilization Services program of about $3.5 million.

Initially launched in 2020 to help seniors and people with disabilities find and maintain housing, the state ended the short-lived program in 2025 after it saw an exponential growth in payouts with little oversight. Initially estimated to cost less than $3 million each year, it swelled to about $104 million in 2024.

The case, which is part of a collaboration between the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota and the DOJ’s Criminal Division’s Fraud Section, is just one of many currently being pursued by the Trump administration.

“Minnesota will no longer be a haven for fraud under our watch,” said U.S. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche. “The Justice Department has been investigating billions in taxpayer fraud across the country and has already successfully convicted 66 individuals and counting in Minnesota.”

Federal officials have promised more charges.

“Criminal fraud not only robs taxpayers – it shatters trust in our institutions. Under President Trump’s leadership, yesterday’s convictions are just the beginning,” said U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi. “Our prosecutors will work tirelessly to unravel criminal fraud schemes and charge their perpetrators in Minnesota and across the country.”

According to court documents, Anthony Waddell Jefferson and Lester Brown set up businesses in Minneapolis and enrolled as HSS program providers. Despite both living in Philadelphia, they allegedly would occasionally travel to Minnesota to find homeless individuals and others to sign up for housing assistance they would not use. Jefferson and Brown then pocketed the payouts.

In total, from February 2022 through June 2025, Jefferson and Brown stole about $3.5 million – claiming to help about 230 clients. Both men pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

While a Minnesota-based program, taxpayers across the nation were also helping fund the HSS program as it was part of the state’s Medicaid program.

“These defendants had no connection to Minnesota or its communities. They traveled across the country for one purpose: to prey upon and steal millions in taxpayer dollars meant for people struggling with homelessness, addiction and disabilities,” said DOJ Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva. “Although programs like HSS are run by the states, they are funded with federal tax dollars. The Criminal Division will not stand by while fraudsters put all Americans’ tax dollars at risk.”

The firestorm first broke about the Minneapolis fraud cases following the release of reports in late November which alleged that millions of taxpayer dollars had been fraudulently stolen from the Minnesota welfare system and then sent to the Somali-based terror group Al-Shabaab.

That was according to original reporting from Chris Rufo and Ryan Thorpe that was published in City Journal. It detailed how, throughout the fall, the then-acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Joe Thompson, was investigating several different cases of fraud in the state. At that time, Thompson called it a “crisis.”

There have been many federal committee hearings regarding the fraud and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison will both appear before the U.S. House Oversight Committee in March.

In one hearing regarding the ongoing Minnesota fraud scandal in January, Democrats on the committee defended Minnesota Democrats and accused President Donald Trump of having a double standard when it comes to addressing fraud.

“Minnesota lawmakers have also taken steps to reduce fraud in their state, strengthening the state’s ability to stop potential fraud sooner and improving investigations to hold those scammers accountable. President Trump has taken a very different approach to fraud,” said U.S. Rep. Lucy McBath, D-Georgia and ranking member on the committee. “We know this hearing is not really about fraud. It is about trust. The Trump administration does not want you to trust these programs, because if you don’t trust them, they’re easier to destroy.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Tariffs sink Canadian couples' long-running e-commerce operation

Tariffs sink Canadian couples’ long-running e-commerce operation

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square Lana Bain and her husband had been selling antiques online for nearly 30 years when the U.S. tariffs hit. At first it was higher prices...
Attorneys file request to Supreme Court over gender secrecy

Attorneys file request to Supreme Court over gender secrecy

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square The Thomas More Society has filed an emergency application with the U.S. Supreme Court, requesting intervention in the Mirabelli v. Bonta lawsuit over gender secrecy...
Pritzker signs energy omnibus with new charge for ratepayers in 2030

Pritzker signs energy omnibus with new charge for ratepayers in 2030

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker has signed sweeping energy legislation that will add a new line item to Illinois...
Illinois quick hits: Primary election ballot certified; indictments increased in 2025

Illinois quick hits: Primary election ballot certified; indictments increased in 2025

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Primary election ballot certified The Illinois State Board of Elections certified the March 2026 primary ballot this week, removing several Republican...
Trump orders $200 billion mortgage bond buy to lower rates

Trump orders $200 billion mortgage bond buy to lower rates

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square President Donald Trump said Thursday afternoon that the federal government will buy $200 billion in mortgage bonds to bring down interest rates and monthly payments....
Coal and power groups back UP–Norfolk Southern rail merger

Coal and power groups back UP–Norfolk Southern rail merger

By Tom JoyceThe Center Square Several major coal producers and power industry groups are urging federal regulators to approve the proposed Union Pacific–Norfolk Southern merger. The producers argue that reliable...

WATCH: U.S. House votes to extend ACA subsidies, heads to Senate

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill to extend Affordable Care Act subsidies for another three years. The bill passed in a 230-196 vote...
Report details sexual abuse, falsified grant applications at Chicago Public Schools

Report details sexual abuse, falsified grant applications at Chicago Public Schools

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The Chicago Board of Education’s Office of Inspector General has released a report detailing falsified federal grant...
Signature shortfalls knock multiple candidates off Illinois ballot

Signature shortfalls knock multiple candidates off Illinois ballot

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The Illinois State Board of Elections certified the March 2026 primary ballot this week, removing several...

WATCH: Vance addresses Minneapolis shooting, questions leftwing influence

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square Vice President JD Vance on Thursday questioned potential leftwing involvement in the shooting death of a woman by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer in...
U.S. House clears $180B funding bills to avoid Jan. 30 shutdown

U.S. House clears $180B funding bills to avoid Jan. 30 shutdown

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday cleared three nearly $180 billion government funding bills that will take a step toward preventing a federal government...
IL state lawmaker pushes back as analysis finds municipalities lost $10.9B

IL state lawmaker pushes back as analysis finds municipalities lost $10.9B

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A new Illinois Policy Institute analysis estimates local governments have lost $10.9 billion since 2012 due...
Trump invites Colombian president to White House

Trump invites Colombian president to White House

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square In a matter of days, President Donald Trump has gone from threatening to strike Colombia to inviting its leader to the White House. Following a...
WATCH: Pritzker says receipts shown ‘all the time’ as audits show weaknesses

WATCH: Pritzker says receipts shown ‘all the time’ as audits show weaknesses

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker insists there’s not been any alleged fraud in Illinois that should cause the Trump...
Pro life org to Congress: Hyde Amendment is non-negotiable

Pro life org to Congress: Hyde Amendment is non-negotiable

By Tate MillerThe Center Square An American pro-life group told President Donald Trump and Congress that the Hyde Amendment is “non-negotiable,” following comments from the president that Republicans should be...