'Fraud tourists' plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

‘Fraud tourists’ plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

Fraud investigations continue in Minnesota as the U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday two “fraud tourists” have pleaded guilty to stealing millions from taxpayers in the North Star state.

The two Pennsylvania men defrauded Minnesota’s Housing Stabilization Services program of about $3.5 million.

Initially launched in 2020 to help seniors and people with disabilities find and maintain housing, the state ended the short-lived program in 2025 after it saw an exponential growth in payouts with little oversight. Initially estimated to cost less than $3 million each year, it swelled to about $104 million in 2024.

The case, which is part of a collaboration between the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota and the DOJ’s Criminal Division’s Fraud Section, is just one of many currently being pursued by the Trump administration.

“Minnesota will no longer be a haven for fraud under our watch,” said U.S. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche. “The Justice Department has been investigating billions in taxpayer fraud across the country and has already successfully convicted 66 individuals and counting in Minnesota.”

Federal officials have promised more charges.

“Criminal fraud not only robs taxpayers – it shatters trust in our institutions. Under President Trump’s leadership, yesterday’s convictions are just the beginning,” said U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi. “Our prosecutors will work tirelessly to unravel criminal fraud schemes and charge their perpetrators in Minnesota and across the country.”

According to court documents, Anthony Waddell Jefferson and Lester Brown set up businesses in Minneapolis and enrolled as HSS program providers. Despite both living in Philadelphia, they allegedly would occasionally travel to Minnesota to find homeless individuals and others to sign up for housing assistance they would not use. Jefferson and Brown then pocketed the payouts.

In total, from February 2022 through June 2025, Jefferson and Brown stole about $3.5 million – claiming to help about 230 clients. Both men pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

While a Minnesota-based program, taxpayers across the nation were also helping fund the HSS program as it was part of the state’s Medicaid program.

“These defendants had no connection to Minnesota or its communities. They traveled across the country for one purpose: to prey upon and steal millions in taxpayer dollars meant for people struggling with homelessness, addiction and disabilities,” said DOJ Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva. “Although programs like HSS are run by the states, they are funded with federal tax dollars. The Criminal Division will not stand by while fraudsters put all Americans’ tax dollars at risk.”

The firestorm first broke about the Minneapolis fraud cases following the release of reports in late November which alleged that millions of taxpayer dollars had been fraudulently stolen from the Minnesota welfare system and then sent to the Somali-based terror group Al-Shabaab.

That was according to original reporting from Chris Rufo and Ryan Thorpe that was published in City Journal. It detailed how, throughout the fall, the then-acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Joe Thompson, was investigating several different cases of fraud in the state. At that time, Thompson called it a “crisis.”

There have been many federal committee hearings regarding the fraud and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison will both appear before the U.S. House Oversight Committee in March.

In one hearing regarding the ongoing Minnesota fraud scandal in January, Democrats on the committee defended Minnesota Democrats and accused President Donald Trump of having a double standard when it comes to addressing fraud.

“Minnesota lawmakers have also taken steps to reduce fraud in their state, strengthening the state’s ability to stop potential fraud sooner and improving investigations to hold those scammers accountable. President Trump has taken a very different approach to fraud,” said U.S. Rep. Lucy McBath, D-Georgia and ranking member on the committee. “We know this hearing is not really about fraud. It is about trust. The Trump administration does not want you to trust these programs, because if you don’t trust them, they’re easier to destroy.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Trump administration sued for freezing child care funds

Trump administration sued for freezing child care funds

By Chris WadeThe Center Square New York is leading four other states in suing the Trump administration over a freeze of more than $10 billion in federal funding for child...
Minnesota authorities cut out of ICE shooting investigation

Minnesota authorities cut out of ICE shooting investigation

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriaty said the community could be left in the dark after the FBI refused to cooperate with local authorities to investigate...
WATCH: SCOTUS considers gun ban; Pritzker responds to funding freeze; Bailey’s blueprint

WATCH: SCOTUS considers gun ban; Pritzker responds to funding freeze; Bailey’s blueprint

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – In today's edition of Illinois in Focus Daily, The Center Square Editor Greg Bishop discusses the status...
Illinois quick hits: Killeen stepping down from U of I in 2027

Illinois quick hits: Killeen stepping down from U of I in 2027

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Killeen stepping down from U of I in 2027 University of Illinois System President Tim Killeen says he stepping down at...
Op-Ed: The Supreme Court must stop Louisiana’s retroactive lawsuits

Op-Ed: The Supreme Court must stop Louisiana’s retroactive lawsuits

By John ShuThe Center Square On Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in Chevron v. Plaquemines Parish on a threshold jurisdictional question. The Court’s answer could have...
Trump requests $6.2M in attorney fees from Fulton County

Trump requests $6.2M in attorney fees from Fulton County

By Kim JarrettThe Center Square A 222-page document filed in Fulton County Superior Court outlines President Donald Trump's $6.2 million in legal fees spent defending himself in an election interference...
U.S. economy added more than 500,000 jobs in 2025

U.S. economy added more than 500,000 jobs in 2025

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. economy added 50,000 jobs in December, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics. The rate of job growth has remained steady over the past...
Trump eyes striking Mexican cartels

Trump eyes striking Mexican cartels

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square President Donald Trump says he will be expanding the war on drugs in Latin America, striking targets south of the border. During an interview with...
Robots and AI dominate major trade show in Las Vegas

Robots and AI dominate major trade show in Las Vegas

By Liam HibbertThe Center Square Make way for the robots. Artificial intelligence is front and center at the famed Consumer Electronics Show, which took over Las Vegas this week at...
Mike Tyson, Ric Flair accuse ex-CBD products partners of $50M+ fraud

Mike Tyson, Ric Flair accuse ex-CBD products partners of $50M+ fraud

By Scott Holland | Legal NewslineThe Center Square Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson and WWE professional wrestler Ric Flair are leading a lawsuit they say is worth at least...
WATCH: Newsom says he's an alternate to White House 'chaos' in his final State of the State

WATCH: Newsom says he’s an alternate to White House ‘chaos’ in his final State of the State

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square In California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s final State of the State address Thursday, the potential presidential candidate positioned himself as an alternative to what he described...
Prosecutor calls Newsom 'king of fraud' for oversight failures

Prosecutor calls Newsom ‘king of fraud’ for oversight failures

By Dave MasonThe Center Square Editor's note: This story was updated since its initial publication with information from the White House. U.S. First Assistant Attorney Bill Essayli Thursday called California...
Seattle’s new mayor has no plans to look into possible local daycare fraud

Seattle’s new mayor has no plans to look into possible local daycare fraud

By Brett DavisThe Center Square It seems new Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson has no plans in her capacity as such to investigate allegations of local daycare fraud. When asked by...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.3

Litchfield Council Rejects One-Way Street Proposal for Post Office

City of Litchfield Meeting | January 6, 2026 Article Summary: The Litchfield City Council voted down a proposal to convert Kirkham Street into a one-way thoroughfare, a change requested by...
Foreign national charged with having gun near ICE agents in Chicago

Foreign national charged with having gun near ICE agents in Chicago

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A Mexican national has been charged with illegally possessing and firing a loaded handgun in Chicago near...