'Fraud tourists' plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

‘Fraud tourists’ plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

Fraud investigations continue in Minnesota as the U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday two “fraud tourists” have pleaded guilty to stealing millions from taxpayers in the North Star state.

The two Pennsylvania men defrauded Minnesota’s Housing Stabilization Services program of about $3.5 million.

Initially launched in 2020 to help seniors and people with disabilities find and maintain housing, the state ended the short-lived program in 2025 after it saw an exponential growth in payouts with little oversight. Initially estimated to cost less than $3 million each year, it swelled to about $104 million in 2024.

The case, which is part of a collaboration between the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota and the DOJ’s Criminal Division’s Fraud Section, is just one of many currently being pursued by the Trump administration.

“Minnesota will no longer be a haven for fraud under our watch,” said U.S. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche. “The Justice Department has been investigating billions in taxpayer fraud across the country and has already successfully convicted 66 individuals and counting in Minnesota.”

Federal officials have promised more charges.

“Criminal fraud not only robs taxpayers – it shatters trust in our institutions. Under President Trump’s leadership, yesterday’s convictions are just the beginning,” said U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi. “Our prosecutors will work tirelessly to unravel criminal fraud schemes and charge their perpetrators in Minnesota and across the country.”

According to court documents, Anthony Waddell Jefferson and Lester Brown set up businesses in Minneapolis and enrolled as HSS program providers. Despite both living in Philadelphia, they allegedly would occasionally travel to Minnesota to find homeless individuals and others to sign up for housing assistance they would not use. Jefferson and Brown then pocketed the payouts.

In total, from February 2022 through June 2025, Jefferson and Brown stole about $3.5 million – claiming to help about 230 clients. Both men pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

While a Minnesota-based program, taxpayers across the nation were also helping fund the HSS program as it was part of the state’s Medicaid program.

“These defendants had no connection to Minnesota or its communities. They traveled across the country for one purpose: to prey upon and steal millions in taxpayer dollars meant for people struggling with homelessness, addiction and disabilities,” said DOJ Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva. “Although programs like HSS are run by the states, they are funded with federal tax dollars. The Criminal Division will not stand by while fraudsters put all Americans’ tax dollars at risk.”

The firestorm first broke about the Minneapolis fraud cases following the release of reports in late November which alleged that millions of taxpayer dollars had been fraudulently stolen from the Minnesota welfare system and then sent to the Somali-based terror group Al-Shabaab.

That was according to original reporting from Chris Rufo and Ryan Thorpe that was published in City Journal. It detailed how, throughout the fall, the then-acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Joe Thompson, was investigating several different cases of fraud in the state. At that time, Thompson called it a “crisis.”

There have been many federal committee hearings regarding the fraud and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison will both appear before the U.S. House Oversight Committee in March.

In one hearing regarding the ongoing Minnesota fraud scandal in January, Democrats on the committee defended Minnesota Democrats and accused President Donald Trump of having a double standard when it comes to addressing fraud.

“Minnesota lawmakers have also taken steps to reduce fraud in their state, strengthening the state’s ability to stop potential fraud sooner and improving investigations to hold those scammers accountable. President Trump has taken a very different approach to fraud,” said U.S. Rep. Lucy McBath, D-Georgia and ranking member on the committee. “We know this hearing is not really about fraud. It is about trust. The Trump administration does not want you to trust these programs, because if you don’t trust them, they’re easier to destroy.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Report: ‘Lawfare’ used to enforce ‘woke’ policies outside legislative process

Report: ‘Lawfare’ used to enforce ‘woke’ policies outside legislative process

By Tate MillerThe Center Square A new report released by Alliance for Consumers shows how the American Left has been pushing its agenda through what it calls “lawfare,” enforcing “woke”...
Climate and energy experts praise Trump’s Endangerment Finding repeal

Climate and energy experts praise Trump’s Endangerment Finding repeal

By Tate MillerThe Center Square Climate and energy experts have praised President Donald Trump’s recent elimination of former President Barack Obama’s Endangerment Finding, with several noting the freedom the action...
Taxpayer group urges Trump, Congress to confront rising federal debt

Taxpayer group urges Trump, Congress to confront rising federal debt

By Tom JoyceThe Center Square A national taxpayer advocacy group is calling on President Donald Trump and Congress to address the nation’s rising debt, warning that interest payments and long-term...
WATCH/EXCLUSIVE: Bill limits governor's emergency powers

WATCH/EXCLUSIVE: Bill limits governor’s emergency powers

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square The governor’s ability to act unilaterally during states of emergency would be limited, if a new California bill becomes law. Assembly Bill 1835, introduced by...
U.S. colleges report $5.2B in foreign funds for 2025

U.S. colleges report $5.2B in foreign funds for 2025

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square American colleges and universities have received $5.2 billion in foreign gifts and contracts in 2025, according to data from the U.S. Department of Education. The...
U.S. farm bill drops, outlines 5-year funding

U.S. farm bill drops, outlines 5-year funding

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square The U.S. House Agriculture Committee dropped the text of the U.S. farm bill Friday, an 802-page package authorizing various nutrition, rural development and farm support...
Group: Raising minimum wage could cause drastic inflation

Group: Raising minimum wage could cause drastic inflation

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois lawmakers have proposed raising the state’s minimum wage to $27 per hour in 2032, but an...
Denver City Council members advance bill to ban ICE masks

Denver City Council members advance bill to ban ICE masks

By Chris WoodwardThe Center Square A Denver City Council committee has approved a proposal to ban law enforcement officers, including federal immigration agents, from wearing masks. The proposal from Councilmembers...
U.S. Ed Dept. investigates Puyallup wrestler’s sexual assault allegation by trans athlete

U.S. Ed Dept. investigates Puyallup wrestler’s sexual assault allegation by trans athlete

By Brett DavisThe Center Square The U.S. Department of Education is investigating the Puyallup School District for how it handled an alleged sexual assault of a female wrestler late last...
FRESH program would provide one-time SNAP cash; critics question cost

FRESH program would provide one-time SNAP cash; critics question cost

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – As new federal work requirements for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program take effect this month, Illinois...
Partial government shutdown imminent as Congress leaves town

Partial government shutdown imminent as Congress leaves town

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square Lawmakers have left town after failing to pass the Homeland Security full-year funding bill, ensuring a partial shutdown of DHS beginning Saturday. This is the...
Illinois Quick Hits: Man sentenced for robbing postal worker

Illinois Quick Hits: Man sentenced for robbing postal worker

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A federal judge has sentenced a Chicago man to four years and three months in prison for...
Sultan in Epstein files resigns, global turmoil continues

Sultan in Epstein files resigns, global turmoil continues

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square An executive of a Dubai-based company resigned on Friday after documents released by the Justice Department tied him to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Sultan...
Temporary protected status terminated for Yemen nationals

Temporary protected status terminated for Yemen nationals

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square Yemeni nationals in the U.S. on temporary protective status will have 60 days to leave the country. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem announced...
Advocates argue new data center restrictions might close Illinois market

Advocates argue new data center restrictions might close Illinois market

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois lawmakers have proposed stricter regulations on data centers in the state, but an industry advocate says...