'Fraud tourists' plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

‘Fraud tourists’ plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

Fraud investigations continue in Minnesota as the U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday two “fraud tourists” have pleaded guilty to stealing millions from taxpayers in the North Star state.

The two Pennsylvania men defrauded Minnesota’s Housing Stabilization Services program of about $3.5 million.

Initially launched in 2020 to help seniors and people with disabilities find and maintain housing, the state ended the short-lived program in 2025 after it saw an exponential growth in payouts with little oversight. Initially estimated to cost less than $3 million each year, it swelled to about $104 million in 2024.

The case, which is part of a collaboration between the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota and the DOJ’s Criminal Division’s Fraud Section, is just one of many currently being pursued by the Trump administration.

“Minnesota will no longer be a haven for fraud under our watch,” said U.S. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche. “The Justice Department has been investigating billions in taxpayer fraud across the country and has already successfully convicted 66 individuals and counting in Minnesota.”

Federal officials have promised more charges.

“Criminal fraud not only robs taxpayers – it shatters trust in our institutions. Under President Trump’s leadership, yesterday’s convictions are just the beginning,” said U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi. “Our prosecutors will work tirelessly to unravel criminal fraud schemes and charge their perpetrators in Minnesota and across the country.”

According to court documents, Anthony Waddell Jefferson and Lester Brown set up businesses in Minneapolis and enrolled as HSS program providers. Despite both living in Philadelphia, they allegedly would occasionally travel to Minnesota to find homeless individuals and others to sign up for housing assistance they would not use. Jefferson and Brown then pocketed the payouts.

In total, from February 2022 through June 2025, Jefferson and Brown stole about $3.5 million – claiming to help about 230 clients. Both men pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

While a Minnesota-based program, taxpayers across the nation were also helping fund the HSS program as it was part of the state’s Medicaid program.

“These defendants had no connection to Minnesota or its communities. They traveled across the country for one purpose: to prey upon and steal millions in taxpayer dollars meant for people struggling with homelessness, addiction and disabilities,” said DOJ Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva. “Although programs like HSS are run by the states, they are funded with federal tax dollars. The Criminal Division will not stand by while fraudsters put all Americans’ tax dollars at risk.”

The firestorm first broke about the Minneapolis fraud cases following the release of reports in late November which alleged that millions of taxpayer dollars had been fraudulently stolen from the Minnesota welfare system and then sent to the Somali-based terror group Al-Shabaab.

That was according to original reporting from Chris Rufo and Ryan Thorpe that was published in City Journal. It detailed how, throughout the fall, the then-acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Joe Thompson, was investigating several different cases of fraud in the state. At that time, Thompson called it a “crisis.”

There have been many federal committee hearings regarding the fraud and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison will both appear before the U.S. House Oversight Committee in March.

In one hearing regarding the ongoing Minnesota fraud scandal in January, Democrats on the committee defended Minnesota Democrats and accused President Donald Trump of having a double standard when it comes to addressing fraud.

“Minnesota lawmakers have also taken steps to reduce fraud in their state, strengthening the state’s ability to stop potential fraud sooner and improving investigations to hold those scammers accountable. President Trump has taken a very different approach to fraud,” said U.S. Rep. Lucy McBath, D-Georgia and ranking member on the committee. “We know this hearing is not really about fraud. It is about trust. The Trump administration does not want you to trust these programs, because if you don’t trust them, they’re easier to destroy.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

WATCH: Los Angeles area robotics team starts 25th season

WATCH: Los Angeles area robotics team starts 25th season

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square Culver City High School’s California-based robotics team - known as the Bagel Bytes - has begun its 25th season of competition with this year's challenge...
Miller: Illinois ‘dragging its feet’ on voter rolls as election nears

Miller: Illinois ‘dragging its feet’ on voter rolls as election nears

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Congresswoman Mary Miller, R-Oakland, slammed the Illinois State Board of Elections on Monday for what she...
Illinois Quick Hits: Pritzker wants to extend pension buyout program

Illinois Quick Hits: Pritzker wants to extend pension buyout program

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – With Illinois’ unfunded public sector pension liability hovering around $140 billion, Gov. J.B. Pritzker has proposed an...
Meeting Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: Litchfield CUSD #12 for January 20, 2026

Litchfield CUSD #12 Meeting | January 20, 2026 Meeting SummaryThe Litchfield Community Unit School District No. 12 Board of Education met on Tuesday, January 20, 2026, to finalize the academic...
Dems fail in first try to use ‘state sovereignty’ to ‘veto’ ICE

Dems fail in first try to use ‘state sovereignty’ to ‘veto’ ICE

By Jonathan Bilyk | Legal NewslineThe Center Square As a federal judge in Chicago prepares to hear Illinois' and Chicago's lawsuit seeking to all but halt ICE and Border Patrol...
Illinois Quick Hits: McIntyre back as inspector general for DCFS

Illinois Quick Hits: McIntyre back as inspector general for DCFS

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker has reappointed Ann McIntyre to continue serving as inspector general for the Illinois Department...
Lawmakers discuss budget, spending, tax credits as Illinois Senate returns

Lawmakers discuss budget, spending, tax credits as Illinois Senate returns

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The Illinois Senate Appropriations Committee chair says greater federal scrutiny of state government spending will not change...
IL lawmakers push discount drug legislation to prevent restricted access

IL lawmakers push discount drug legislation to prevent restricted access

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois lawmakers are pushing an amendment to ban restrictions or interference with a federal discount drug program....
ag

Dudley Smith Farm Winter Meeting to Focus on Cattle Markets and Soil Health

Article Summary: The annual Dudley Smith Farm Winter Meeting is scheduled for February 10 in Taylorville, offering producers updates on cattle profitability, market outlooks, and agricultural research. Dudley Smith Winter...
Chicago downtown office space vacancy rate ends year at record high levels

Chicago downtown office space vacancy rate ends year at record high levels

By Glenn Minnis | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Wirepoints Executive Editor Mark Glennon warns Chicago’s dwindling business community could be riding into high-gear after...
Ex-Illinois candidate sides with Vance after Duckworth–Rubio clash

Ex-Illinois candidate sides with Vance after Duckworth–Rubio clash

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – U.S. Sen. Tammy Duckworth, D-Illinois, is facing fresh criticism after Vice President J.D. Vance likened her...
Illinois Quick Hits: Judge rules Cook County misspent $243M

Illinois Quick Hits: Judge rules Cook County misspent $243M

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A circuit court judge has ruled that Cook County spent $243 million in violation of the Illinois...
On behalf of the Cahokia Creek Dirt Riders, Steve Pickerill presented Sheriff Holshouser with a donation to the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office. The funds will be used in support of operations at the Sheriff's Office.

Montgomery Sheriff Donation

On behalf of the Cahokia Creek Dirt Riders, Steve Pickerill presented Sheriff Holshouser with a donation to the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office. The funds will be used in support of...

Principals Highlight “Success Days” and Data-Driven Incentives

Litchfield CUSD #12 Meeting | January 20, 2026 Article Summary: Litchfield school principals presented updates to the Board of Education regarding recent professional development focusing on data analysis and new...
Litchfield Fire personnel practiced ice rescue techniques at Walton Park this week. Residents are reminded that frozen bodies of water can have many hidden dangers. Please refrain from walking or riding recreational vehicles on any ice without experience or checking the ice thickness beforehand. Refrozen holes could be significantly thinner and give way under weight.

Ice Rescue Training

Litchfield Fire personnel practiced ice rescue techniques at Walton Park last week. Residents are reminded that frozen bodies of water can have many hidden dangers. Please refrain from walking or...