New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Lawsuit investor Burford can upend Sysco’s $50M chicken price settlement

Lawsuit investor Burford can upend Sysco’s $50M chicken price settlement

By Jonathan Bilyk | Legal NewslineThe Center Square A Chicago federal appeals panel will allow Burford Capital, the world's largest third-party lawsuit investor, to force poultry producer Pilgrim's Pride back...
Gas prices projected to rise if Pritzker fails to act on E10 waiver

Gas prices projected to rise if Pritzker fails to act on E10 waiver

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Gas prices have dropped across the country in recent months, but the Illinois Fuel and Retail Association...
U.S. LNG exports hit new high as Turkey buys big

U.S. LNG exports hit new high as Turkey buys big

By Alton WallaceThe Center Square U.S. LNG exports reached a fresh record of 525.1 million cubic feet in November, with shipments to trade partners including Turkey, Egypt and several European...
Illinois Quick Hits: CTA passenger set on fire in November leaves hospital

Illinois Quick Hits: CTA passenger set on fire in November leaves hospital

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A Chicago Transit Authority train passenger says she has been released from the hospital more than two...
House Oversight probes Rep. Ilhan Omar's husband's businesses

House Oversight probes Rep. Ilhan Omar’s husband’s businesses

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square The House Oversight Committee is investigating the rapid rise in value of two companies owned by Rep. Ilhan Omar's husband, amid concerns over financial transparency...

WATCH: IL Senate GOP proposes SAFE-T Act changes for domestic violence violations

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois Senate Republican Leader John Curran says his caucus has proposed changes to the SAFE-T Act that...
Illinois open-burn bill ignites capitol clash

Illinois open-burn bill ignites capitol clash

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A proposal aimed at giving local fire protection districts more oversight of open burning in unincorporated...
AMA's medical education infused with political ideology, Do No Harm says

AMA’s medical education infused with political ideology, Do No Harm says

By Tate MillerThe Center Square In its ongoing fight against identity politics in medicine, Do No Harm exposed the American Medical Association this week for content related to identity politics...
Los Angeles police chief declines to enforce ICE mask ban

Los Angeles police chief declines to enforce ICE mask ban

By Chris WoodwardThe Center Square California has a new law that prohibits law enforcement from wearing masks, but don’t expect it to be enforced in Los Angeles. At least not...
Surge in gas-fired power for data centers, with Texas leading

Surge in gas-fired power for data centers, with Texas leading

By Alton WallaceThe Center Square The amount of gas-fired power generation in development in the U.S. nearly tripled over the past year to a record-high 252 gigawatts, with a third...
Entrepreneurs push back as Illinois city proposes new business registry

Entrepreneurs push back as Illinois city proposes new business registry

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Despite existing state registration requirements, Pontiac officials are proposing a new local business registration program aimed...
Benghazi attack suspect arrested, will face charges in U.S.

Benghazi attack suspect arrested, will face charges in U.S.

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square A suspect in a 2012 attack on a United States compound in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans was arrested and will be prosecuted in...
Canada looks to shift auto industry away from U.S.

Canada looks to shift auto industry away from U.S.

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney wants his nation's auto industry to look far beyond its usual American market with investments in electric vehicles and other...
Illinois Quick Hits: Pritzker's fiscal update blasts Trump administration

Illinois Quick Hits: Pritzker’s fiscal update blasts Trump administration

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The Governor’s Office of Management and Budget says tax provisions in the Big Beautiful Bill Act would...
Civil group seeks revival of student loan forgiveness lawsuit

Civil group seeks revival of student loan forgiveness lawsuit

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square The New Civil Liberties Alliance presented oral arguments before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit this week, after filing an opening brief...