New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Lawmaker: Conversion therapy funding ban ‘hypocritical’ amid youth gender care doubts

Lawmaker: Conversion therapy funding ban ‘hypocritical’ amid youth gender care doubts

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois lawmakers are advancing legislation to prohibit taxpayer funding for conversion therapy, even as the state...

Poll: Americans skeptical of Trump’s 10% credit card cap

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square A significant portion of Americans believe they cannot take on more debt, according to a new survey from WalletHub. The new survey analyzed the latest...
Arizona attorney general refuses to resign despite pressure over her comments on ICE

Arizona attorney general refuses to resign despite pressure over her comments on ICE

By Zachery SchmidtThe Center Square Editor's note: This story has been updated since its original publication. Attorney General Kris Mayes will not resign from office after the state House and...
Consumer group backs Kansas bills aimed at limiting lawfare

Consumer group backs Kansas bills aimed at limiting lawfare

By Tom JoyceThe Center Square A consumer advocacy group is launching a new national campaign as Kansas lawmakers consider legislation supporters say would limit the use of courts to advance...
Illinois Quick Hits: FEMA says no to Illinois disaster declaration

Illinois Quick Hits: FEMA says no to Illinois disaster declaration

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The Federal Emergency Management Agency has denied the state of Illinois’ appeal for a major disaster declaration...
West Virginia law enforcement leading in ICE Task Force Model partnership

West Virginia law enforcement leading in ICE Task Force Model partnership

By Bethany BlankleyThe Center Square West Virginia sheriffs are leading in partnering with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement through a federal 287(g) immigration enforcement program. Located more than 1,500 miles...
U.S. House probes Michigan noncitizen voting claims

U.S. House probes Michigan noncitizen voting claims

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. House Oversight Committee is investigating claims of noncitizen voting in Michigan. U.S. Reps. James Comer, R-Ky., and John James, R-Mich., sent a letter...
Chicago aldermen discuss delayed payments, cash flow issues

Chicago aldermen discuss delayed payments, cash flow issues

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A Chicago alderman is urging city officials to support legislation in Springfield that would require Cook County...
Ex-COPA deputy who revealed boss’ anti-cop bias can’t sue over firing

Ex-COPA deputy who revealed boss’ anti-cop bias can’t sue over firing

By Scott Holland | Legal NewslineThe Center Square A federal judge has tossed a lawsuit from a former top investigator for the Chicago city office responsible for investigating police misconduct...
Deadline approaches for Colorado River negotiations

Deadline approaches for Colorado River negotiations

By Liam HibbertThe Center Square Officials negotiating to protect and redefine use of the Colorado River face a major deadline approaching on Feb. 14. And experts said an agreement is...
California Assembly OKs $90M bill for Planned Parenthood

California Assembly OKs $90M bill for Planned Parenthood

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square The California Assembly on Monday afternoon approved $90 million in funding for Planned Parenthood. The contentious debate on the Assembly floor highlighted the rift between...
Massie doubles down on calls for Lutnick to resign

Massie doubles down on calls for Lutnick to resign

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square Longtime Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., continued pushing Monday for Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick’s resignation over his relationship with deceased child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Massie...
Seahawks' Super Bowl win temporarily jolts local Seattle economy

Seahawks’ Super Bowl win temporarily jolts local Seattle economy

By Brett DavisThe Center Square The Seattle Seahawks’ win over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LX at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., on Sunday is expected to...
Next oil and gas lease sale for U.S. Gulf scheduled for March

Next oil and gas lease sale for U.S. Gulf scheduled for March

By Alton WallaceThe Center Square The next sale of oil and gas leases in the Gulf of America is set for March 11, one of dozens scheduled over the next...
Lawsuit demands Pritzker’s office release docs over pic with criminal

Lawsuit demands Pritzker’s office release docs over pic with criminal

By Jonathan Bilyk | Legal NewslineThe Center Square Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker's office has illegally attempted to scrub from the public record photos and other proof that he posed at...