New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Meeting Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: Litchfield Park District Board for Oct. 1, 2025

Litchfield Park District Board Meeting | Oct. 1, 2025 The Litchfield Park District Board met on Wednesday, October 1, 2025, to review maintenance projects and upcoming fall events. The board...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.3

City to Join Class Action Lawsuit Over PFAS “Forever Chemicals”

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Oct. 2, 2025 Article Summary: The City Council voted to join a nationwide class action lawsuit against manufacturers of PFAS, or "forever chemicals," often found...
Litchfield Park-Graphic Logo.4

Park District Considers Hiring Summer Program Planner

Litchfield Park District Board Meeting | Oct. 1, 2025 Article Summary: The Litchfield Park District Board discussed creating a new part-time position dedicated to planning and marketing summer activities for...
Litchfield Logo.1

Litchfield Addresses Week-Long Boil Order, Confirms No Contamination

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Oct. 2, 2025 Article Summary: Mayor Jacob Fleming addressed the recent city-wide boil order, clarifying that the issue was caused by a drop in chlorine...
Litchfield Park-Walton Park Graphic Logo

Decaying “Indian” Statue at Walton Park Prompts Preservation Search

Litchfield Park District Board Meeting | Oct. 1, 2025 Article Summary: With the iconic statue at Walton Park showing signs of age, the Park District is seeking outside advice on...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.4

Litchfield Implements Vehicle Stickers for Deer Hunting on City Property

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Oct. 2, 2025 Article Summary: After a lengthy discussion regarding hunting on leased city property, the Litchfield City Council voted to postpone any major changes...
Litchfield Park-Schalk Park Graphic Logo

Park Board Pauses LBI Field Renovations, Requests Presentation

Litchfield Park District Board Meeting | Oct. 1, 2025 Article Summary: The Litchfield Park District Board postponed a proposal from Litchfield Baseball Inc. (LBI) to renovate Schalk Field, requiring the...
Meeting Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: Litchfield City Council for Oct. 2, 2025

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Oct. 2, 2025 The Litchfield City Council met on Thursday, Oct. 2, 2025, for a session dominated by discussions on public safety and infrastructure. The...
Meeting Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: Litchfield CUSD 12 for September 18, 2025

Litchfield CUSD 12 Meeting | September 18, 2025 The Litchfield Community Unit School District No. 12 Board of Education met on Thursday, September 18, 2025, to adopt the annual budget...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.4

Police Department to Get New Chief Search and Pursuit Vehicle Upfit

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Oct. 2, 2025 Article Summary: The City Council authorized the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police to assist in the search for a new Police...
Litchfield School Logo Graphic.4

New Staff and Athletic Updates Highlight September Meeting

Litchfield CUSD 12 Meeting | September 18, 2025 Article Summary: Administrators introduced a large cohort of new staff members and provided updates on building activities. The board also approved several...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.3

Litchfield Joins Class Action Lawsuit Against “Forever Chemical” Manufacturers

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Oct. 2, 2025 Article Summary: The City Council approved a resolution to enter into a legal services agreement regarding PFAS product liability litigation. The city...
Litchfield School Logo Graphic.5

Litchfield Board Approves Community Outreach Plan and Transfers Funds for Debt

Litchfield CUSD 12 Meeting | September 18, 2025 Article Summary: The Litchfield School Board approved a new grant-funded community outreach program and authorized a significant fund transfer to service debt....
Litchfield Logo.1

Mayor Fleming: Equipment Failure, Not Contamination, Caused Boil Order

Litchfield City Council Meeting | Oct. 2, 2025 Article Summary: Mayor Jacob Fleming addressed the recent city-wide boil order, clarifying that the event was caused by a mechanical failure in...
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Litchfield School Board Sets 2025-2026 Budget with Planned Deficit Spending

Litchfield CUSD 12 Meeting | September 18, 2025 Article Summary: The Litchfield School Board adopted a fiscal year 2025-2026 budget that includes approximately $476,000 in deficit spending. Superintendent Dr. Kelly...