New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Trump vetoes bill easing repayment for Colorado pipeline

Trump vetoes bill easing repayment for Colorado pipeline

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square President Donald Trump issued the first vetoes of his second term Tuesday, blocking two bills that would have provided additional support for infrastructure projects in...
Islamic civil rights group says nothing about civil unrest in Iran

Islamic civil rights group says nothing about civil unrest in Iran

By Johnny EdwardsThe Center Square America’s largest Muslim advocacy group speaks out regularly about Israel’s alleged abuses in Gaza. But it has yet to say anything about ongoing human rights...
Ohio debate over potential child care facility fraud heats up

Ohio debate over potential child care facility fraud heats up

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square The debate over taxpayer-funded child care facilities across Ohio has intensified since State Rep. Josh Williams, R-Sylvania Township, called for an investigation earlier this week....
As Illinois ends grocery tax locals can replace, food inflation debate continues

As Illinois ends grocery tax locals can replace, food inflation debate continues

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – An Illinois congressman’s warning that Americans are paying more for groceries is drawing pushback from economists...
North Carolina NYE terror attack foiled by FBI, several police departments

North Carolina NYE terror attack foiled by FBI, several police departments

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square The FBI and several police departments foiled another New Year’s Eve terror plot, this time in North Carolina, officials announced on Friday. The FBI apprehended...
DeWine defends fraud safeguards at Ohio child care facilities

DeWine defends fraud safeguards at Ohio child care facilities

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine is defending the state’s child care spending, saying longtime safeguards are in place that help prevent widespread fraud uncovered in Minnesota....
Illinois quick hits: State keeps more tax revenue, locals get less

Illinois quick hits: State keeps more tax revenue, locals get less

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square State keeps more tax revenue, locals get less Across Illinois, local governments have lost more than $10.9 billion in state income...
U.S. House contests to decide control of Congress in 2026

U.S. House contests to decide control of Congress in 2026

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The 2026 midterm elections promise to bring fierce competition as Democrats and Republicans battle for control of Congress. All 435 seats in the U.S. House...
'Locked and loaded':Trump warns Iran

‘Locked and loaded’:Trump warns Iran

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square Following days of civil unrest in Iran, President Donald Trump issued a warning to the Iranian regime that the U.S. is prepared to take action...
First negotiated Medicare drug prices go into effect Jan. 1

First negotiated Medicare drug prices go into effect Jan. 1

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square Negotiated lower Medicare costs for 10 popular prescription drugs went into effect Thursday. How much those savings will be passed on to Medicare Part D...
U.S. House vote on employee bargaining met with ‘political theater’ criticism

U.S. House vote on employee bargaining met with ‘political theater’ criticism

By Catrina BarkerThe Center Square )The Center Square) – An Illinois congressman praised a vote to restore collective bargaining for over one million federal workers while critics say the U.S....
Eight killed in U.S. military counter-narcotics strikes

Eight killed in U.S. military counter-narcotics strikes

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square The U.S. military conducted five more strikes on drug boats in the Caribbean in the last days of 2025. This is according to the U.S....
Hog producer: 2025 was strong, but IL legislature needs to address estate tax

Hog producer: 2025 was strong, but IL legislature needs to address estate tax

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – An Illinois hog producer says 2025 was a strong year, but state lawmakers need to address estate...
Trump to remove National Guard members from Chicago, LA, Portland

Trump to remove National Guard members from Chicago, LA, Portland

By Sarah Roderick-Fitch | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – National Guard members deployed in Chicago, Los Angeles, and Portland, Ore., will head home after President Donald...
Illinois’ compact fluorescent bulb ban begins to take effect

Illinois’ compact fluorescent bulb ban begins to take effect

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – One of the nearly 300 new laws that took effect in Illinois New Year’s Day is a...