New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Chicago car impounds not unconstitutional ‘taking’: Court

Chicago car impounds not unconstitutional ‘taking’: Court

By Scott Holland | Legal NewslineThe Center Square A federal appeals panel says Chicago’s policy of towing and disposing of vehicles doesn’t reach the level of unconstitutional taking without compensation,...
Illinois quick hits: Fatal police-involved shooting investigated

Illinois quick hits: Fatal police-involved shooting investigated

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Fatal police-involved shooting investigated Illinois State Police say they are investigating an officer-involved fatal shooting that took place Sunday night in...
Report: More people continue leaving Illinois than arriving

Report: More people continue leaving Illinois than arriving

By Glenn Minnis | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois state Rep. Martin McLaughlin argues lawmakers in Springfield only look in the mirror to come...
WATCH: Trump says U.S. will run Venezuela for foreseeable future

WATCH: Trump says U.S. will run Venezuela for foreseeable future

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square The U.S. will run Venezuela “until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition,” President Donald Trump said Saturday following the...
World leaders call for UN response after Maduro capture

World leaders call for UN response after Maduro capture

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square The international community is reacting to the news that President Donald Trump announced early in the morning on social media: The U.S. carried out a...
Democrats slam Venezuelan strikes, Maduro capture

Democrats slam Venezuelan strikes, Maduro capture

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Democratic lawmakers criticized President Donald Trump's announcement of land strikes against Venezuela and leader Nicolas Maduro's capture. In a post to social media, Trump announced...
Trump sheds more light on Venezuela strike, Maduro capture

Trump sheds more light on Venezuela strike, Maduro capture

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square President Donald Trump shed more light on the strikes on Venezuela and the operation to capture Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. During an interview on Fox...
Congressional Republicans support Venezuela strikes, Maduro capture

Congressional Republicans support Venezuela strikes, Maduro capture

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Republican leaders in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate are reacting to President Donald Trump's announcement of the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro...
With Maduro, wife in custody, Bondi says they will be tried on U.S. soil

With Maduro, wife in custody, Bondi says they will be tried on U.S. soil

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square Following U.S. strikes against Venezuela resulting in the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Attorney General Pam Bondi said Saturday the Maduros...
'Large scale strike' carried out against Venezuela; Maduro captured

‘Large scale strike’ carried out against Venezuela; Maduro captured

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square The U.S. carried out a “large scale strike against Venezuela” in the overnight hours Saturday, capturing Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, along with his wife, according...
Congress faces govt. shutdown date, health care bills, Epstein on return

Congress faces govt. shutdown date, health care bills, Epstein on return

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square Congress faces a mountain of political challenges when it resumes session next week, including a potential government shutdown, a health care affordability crisis, and the...
U.S. Senate races will decide balance of Congress in 2026

U.S. Senate races will decide balance of Congress in 2026

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. Senate could see a major shakeup in 2026 as Democrats and Republicans battle for control of Congress. In 2024, Republicans flipped the U.S....
9th Circuit rules against ban on open carry of firearms in most California counties

9th Circuit rules against ban on open carry of firearms in most California counties

By Dave MasonThe Center Square The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit Friday ruled against California’s ban on open carry of firearms in most counties. The San Francisco-based...
Trump: 'Illinois is worse' as HHS enforces verification for child care funding

Trump: ‘Illinois is worse’ as HHS enforces verification for child care funding

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says states will not receive matching child-care funds until...
Illinois quick hits: 700,000 customers' health information potentially exposed

Illinois quick hits: 700,000 customers’ health information potentially exposed

By The Center SquareThe Center Square IDHS announces health information potentially exposed Protected health information for more than 700,000 customers of rehabilitation services and Medicaid and Medicare savings programs may...