New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Flags flown at half-staff in Sacramento in LaMalfa's honor

Flags flown at half-staff in Sacramento in LaMalfa’s honor

By Dave MasonThe Center Square California Gov. Gavin Newsom Tuesday ordered flags in Sacramento flown at half-staff at the Capitol and Capitol Annex Swing Space in honor of U.S. Rep....

WATCH: IL Democrats take part in Jan. 6 hearing as Trump pushes voter ID

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – On the anniversary of the Jan. 6 storming of the U.S. capitol, leading Democrats and the president...
House Dems, Trump offer competing visions of Jan. 6

House Dems, Trump offer competing visions of Jan. 6

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Democrat lawmakers and the Trump administration have offered competing visions on the fifth anniversary of the Jan. 6 storming of the U.S. Capitol. The lawmakers...
Illinois quick hits: Criminal justice grants announced; unemployment rate unchanged

Illinois quick hits: Criminal justice grants announced; unemployment rate unchanged

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Criminal justice grants announced The Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority has announced $50 million in taxpayer-funded grants for historically underserved communities....
State Rep: Illegal immigrants cost IL taxpayers more than enforcement

State Rep: Illegal immigrants cost IL taxpayers more than enforcement

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – An Illinois Statehouse Republican says the cost of illegal immigration in Illinois is much more than a...
House committee to hold hearing Wednesday on Minnesota fraud

House committee to hold hearing Wednesday on Minnesota fraud

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square The U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform is set to hold its first of two scheduled hearings Wednesday on the “fraud and misuse...
Court blocks Trump admin’s medical research funding cuts

Court blocks Trump admin’s medical research funding cuts

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit has affirmed a lower court’s decision barring the Trump administration from cutting funding for medical and...
Trump takes aim at defense contractors as he looks to speed arms production

Trump takes aim at defense contractors as he looks to speed arms production

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square President Donald Trump criticized U.S. defense contractors on Tuesday, saying that he wants to produce the advanced weapons that the U.S. relies on for military...

WATCH: Candidate Dabrowski wants audit as IL Child Care Services funding skyrockets

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate Ted Dabrowski is calling for a forensic audit of state spending on human...
Hegseth seeks to reduce Sen. Kelly's Navy retirement pay

Hegseth seeks to reduce Sen. Kelly’s Navy retirement pay

By Dave MasonThe Center Square Editor's note: This story has been updated since its initial publication to include a comment from the White House. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth plans...
Special election for Greene's seat set for March 10

Special election for Greene’s seat set for March 10

By Kim JarrettThe Center Square Former U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's congressional seat will be empty at least two months, likely three, as a special election already drawing 24 candidates...
Trump lays out 'roadmap for victory' during GOP House retreat

Trump lays out ‘roadmap for victory’ during GOP House retreat

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square As the country is about to embark on a pivotal election year, President Donald Trump addressed the GOP U.S. House of Representatives retreat. During a...
WATCH: Trump ‘not gonna pay’ child care fraud; Immigration enforcement costs; Moving out

WATCH: Trump ‘not gonna pay’ child care fraud; Immigration enforcement costs; Moving out

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – In today's edition of Illinois in Focus Daily, The Center Square Editor Greg Bishop shares the latest...
Duckworth pushes military IVF coverage as critics warn taxpayers could pay

Duckworth pushes military IVF coverage as critics warn taxpayers could pay

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois U.S. Sen. Tammy Duckworth, D-Schaumburg, criticizes the House speaker and the president after a provision...
Illinois quick hits: Increased flu activity reported

Illinois quick hits: Increased flu activity reported

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Increased flu activity reported The Illinois Department of Public Health says flu activity is very high in the state, the most...