New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Florida joins redistricting push, schedules special session

Florida joins redistricting push, schedules special session

By Merrilee GasserThe Center Square Florida is joining a growing list of states seeking to redraw their congressional maps and gain an advantage in the November midterm elections. Gov. Ron...
Senate takes first vote to limit military action in Venezuela

Senate takes first vote to limit military action in Venezuela

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. Senate took a bipartisan step on Thursday to pass a resolution limiting President Donald Trump from the use of further military force in...
Dem officials urge Trump EPA to keep Biden’s PFAS rules

Dem officials urge Trump EPA to keep Biden’s PFAS rules

By John O’Brien | Legal NewslineThe Center Square Democrat state attorneys general are resisting changes made by the Trump administration that affect what companies must disclose about the use of...
Protests continue Thursday in Minneapolis; schools canceled

Protests continue Thursday in Minneapolis; schools canceled

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square (The Center Squares) – Protests continued Thursday after thousands of protesters took to the streets in Minneapolis on Wednesday night, rallying against ICE agents in...
IL lawmaker critical of ‘illegal orders’ video as Pentagon moves to punish senator

IL lawmaker critical of ‘illegal orders’ video as Pentagon moves to punish senator

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – An Illinois lawmaker and Air Force veteran says U.S. Sen. Mark Kelly’s call for troops to...
Illinois quick hits: Tax receipts increase $1.5 billion year-over-year

Illinois quick hits: Tax receipts increase $1.5 billion year-over-year

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Tax receipts increase $1.5 billion year-over-year Citing a report by the Illinois Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability, the National Federation...
WATCH: HHS tells Pritzker ‘show receipts’ on welfare spending; Energy bill to be signed

WATCH: HHS tells Pritzker ‘show receipts’ on welfare spending; Energy bill to be signed

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – In today's edition of Illinois in Focus Daily, The Center Square Editor Greg Bishop shares conversations about...
Cato scholar: Fraud being investigated in Minnesota likely occurring across U.S.

Cato scholar: Fraud being investigated in Minnesota likely occurring across U.S.

By Hayley FelandThe Center Square The widespread fraud in Minnesota that's made national headlines in recent weeks is likely occurring in states across the country, Cato Institute scholar Chris Edwards...
Supreme Court could rule on Trump's tariff authority Friday

Supreme Court could rule on Trump’s tariff authority Friday

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square The U.S. Supreme Court could issue a landmark ruling Friday on President Donald Trump's authority to use tariffs, potentially reshaping presidential power. Alan Morrison, a...
Arraignment postponed for Nick Reiner in murder trial

Arraignment postponed for Nick Reiner in murder trial

By Dave MasonThe Center Square Nick Reiner, charged with murdering his parents Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner, saw his arraignment postponed Wednesday after his second appearance in a downtown...
Court halts injunction on California gender secrecy policy

Court halts injunction on California gender secrecy policy

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square In Mirabelli v. Bonta, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit granted California’s emergency motion for a freeze, temporarily suspending a class-wide permanent...
Glen Ellyn can’t enforce Airbnb rules vs owner who says was target

Glen Ellyn can’t enforce Airbnb rules vs owner who says was target

By Scott Holland | Legal NewslineThe Center Square The operators of a Glen Ellyn Airbnb property have won an junction blocking the village from enforcing an ordinance controlling short-term rentals...

WATCH: Minn. agencies suppressed fraud reports, punished whistleblowers

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square Officials within the administration of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz enabled some of the state’s now estimated $9 billion in taxpayeer-funded social services fraud by suppressing...

WATCH: HHS tells Illinois ‘show us the receipts’ on welfare spending

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Nearly a billion federal taxpayer dollars for child care and family assistance programs are being withheld from...
Flags lowered on anniversary of Palisades, Eaton fires

Flags lowered on anniversary of Palisades, Eaton fires

By Dave MasonThe Center Square California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered flags lowered to half-staff Wednesday for all state buildings on the one-year anniversary of the devastating Los Angeles County wildfires....