New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Report: ‘Lawfare’ used to enforce ‘woke’ policies outside legislative process

Report: ‘Lawfare’ used to enforce ‘woke’ policies outside legislative process

By Tate MillerThe Center Square A new report released by Alliance for Consumers shows how the American Left has been pushing its agenda through what it calls “lawfare,” enforcing “woke”...
Climate and energy experts praise Trump’s Endangerment Finding repeal

Climate and energy experts praise Trump’s Endangerment Finding repeal

By Tate MillerThe Center Square Climate and energy experts have praised President Donald Trump’s recent elimination of former President Barack Obama’s Endangerment Finding, with several noting the freedom the action...
Taxpayer group urges Trump, Congress to confront rising federal debt

Taxpayer group urges Trump, Congress to confront rising federal debt

By Tom JoyceThe Center Square A national taxpayer advocacy group is calling on President Donald Trump and Congress to address the nation’s rising debt, warning that interest payments and long-term...
WATCH/EXCLUSIVE: Bill limits governor's emergency powers

WATCH/EXCLUSIVE: Bill limits governor’s emergency powers

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square The governor’s ability to act unilaterally during states of emergency would be limited, if a new California bill becomes law. Assembly Bill 1835, introduced by...
U.S. colleges report $5.2B in foreign funds for 2025

U.S. colleges report $5.2B in foreign funds for 2025

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square American colleges and universities have received $5.2 billion in foreign gifts and contracts in 2025, according to data from the U.S. Department of Education. The...
U.S. farm bill drops, outlines 5-year funding

U.S. farm bill drops, outlines 5-year funding

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square The U.S. House Agriculture Committee dropped the text of the U.S. farm bill Friday, an 802-page package authorizing various nutrition, rural development and farm support...
Group: Raising minimum wage could cause drastic inflation

Group: Raising minimum wage could cause drastic inflation

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois lawmakers have proposed raising the state’s minimum wage to $27 per hour in 2032, but an...
Denver City Council members advance bill to ban ICE masks

Denver City Council members advance bill to ban ICE masks

By Chris WoodwardThe Center Square A Denver City Council committee has approved a proposal to ban law enforcement officers, including federal immigration agents, from wearing masks. The proposal from Councilmembers...
U.S. Ed Dept. investigates Puyallup wrestler’s sexual assault allegation by trans athlete

U.S. Ed Dept. investigates Puyallup wrestler’s sexual assault allegation by trans athlete

By Brett DavisThe Center Square The U.S. Department of Education is investigating the Puyallup School District for how it handled an alleged sexual assault of a female wrestler late last...
FRESH program would provide one-time SNAP cash; critics question cost

FRESH program would provide one-time SNAP cash; critics question cost

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – As new federal work requirements for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program take effect this month, Illinois...
Partial government shutdown imminent as Congress leaves town

Partial government shutdown imminent as Congress leaves town

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square Lawmakers have left town after failing to pass the Homeland Security full-year funding bill, ensuring a partial shutdown of DHS beginning Saturday. This is the...
Illinois Quick Hits: Man sentenced for robbing postal worker

Illinois Quick Hits: Man sentenced for robbing postal worker

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A federal judge has sentenced a Chicago man to four years and three months in prison for...
Sultan in Epstein files resigns, global turmoil continues

Sultan in Epstein files resigns, global turmoil continues

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square An executive of a Dubai-based company resigned on Friday after documents released by the Justice Department tied him to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Sultan...
Temporary protected status terminated for Yemen nationals

Temporary protected status terminated for Yemen nationals

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square Yemeni nationals in the U.S. on temporary protective status will have 60 days to leave the country. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem announced...
Advocates argue new data center restrictions might close Illinois market

Advocates argue new data center restrictions might close Illinois market

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois lawmakers have proposed stricter regulations on data centers in the state, but an industry advocate says...