New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

montgomery county Graphic Logo

County Engineer Raises Concerns Over “Irresponsible” Bridge Contractor

Montgomery County Board Meeting | December 9, 2025 Article Summary: The Montgomery County Board and its Roads & Bridges Committee addressed serious performance issues regarding a contractor currently working on...
montgomery county Graphic Logo.2

Board Approves New Labor Contracts for Circuit Clerk, Assessment Employees

Montgomery County Board Meeting | December 9, 2025 Article Summary: The Montgomery County Board approved two new collective bargaining agreements covering employees in the Circuit Clerk’s and Supervisor of Assessments’...
Litchfield Park-Graphic Logo.4

Litchfield Park District Weighs Contracting Concrete Work for Facility Upgrades

Litchfield Park District Meeting | Jan. 7, 2026 Article Summary: The Litchfield Park District Board of Commissioners discussed infrastructure updates during their January meeting, specifically regarding delays with the new...
Meeting Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: City of Litchfield for January 6, 2026

City of Litchfield Meeting | January 6, 2026 The Litchfield City Council met on Tuesday, January 6, 2026, for a session dominated by infrastructure and traffic concerns. The council rejected...
Retirements and resignations to impact midterms as balance of power at stake

Retirements and resignations to impact midterms as balance of power at stake

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Over the past several months, politicians once regarded as central to their party have bowed out of reelection campaigns or resigned from their positions altogether....
U.S. Supreme Court to hear anti-oil cases with energy costs on the line

U.S. Supreme Court to hear anti-oil cases with energy costs on the line

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Energy advocates have been warning against green energy demands driving up prices across the country. As anti-oil and gas activists seek legal pathways to straddle...
Constitutional concerns raised over Illinois' first civil hate crime case

Constitutional concerns raised over Illinois’ first civil hate crime case

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A former Illinois attorney general candidate says the state’s first civil hate crime lawsuit, while based...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.4

Residents Voice Frustrations Over Oil and Chip Street Conditions

City of Litchfield Meeting | January 6, 2026 Article Summary: Several residents approached the Litchfield City Council to complain about the poor condition of streets following recent oil and chip...
Newsom predicts smaller budget shortfall than state agency

Newsom predicts smaller budget shortfall than state agency

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square In his proposed budget, California Gov. Gavin Newsom is predicting a shortfall of $2.9 billion. That's much less than the $18 billion shortfall projected by...
Colorado ordered to pay $5.4M after abortion law blocked

Colorado ordered to pay $5.4M after abortion law blocked

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square Colorado must pay back legal fees after it was sued for a law banning abortion pill reversals, a federal court ruled this week. The state...
Four Republicans certified for primary to take on Pritzker

Four Republicans certified for primary to take on Pritzker

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The Republican primary election for who will take on Gov. J.B. Pritzker in November is set. Democrats...
Illinois quick hits: State sues over frozen funds; Nicor Gas seeks rate hike

Illinois quick hits: State sues over frozen funds; Nicor Gas seeks rate hike

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square State sues over frozen funds Illinois is one of five states suing the Trump administration over a freeze of more than...
Treasury, IRS ramp up investigation into Minnesota fraud

Treasury, IRS ramp up investigation into Minnesota fraud

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square The administration continues to ramp up its response to the massive social services fraud in Minnesota, with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent enumerating steps his department...
Tariff authority decision still awaited from Supreme Court

Tariff authority decision still awaited from Supreme Court

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square Tariff authority by second-term Republican President Donald Trump was not decided by the U.S. Supreme Court on Friday, meaning the federal government can continue to...
Minneapolis schools offer remote learning while ICE operations continue

Minneapolis schools offer remote learning while ICE operations continue

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square Minneapolis Public Schools can choose remote learning for at least a month in the wake of the shooting of Renee Good by an ICE officer...