New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Montgomery County Bldg Grounds Committee

County Committee Considers Purchase of Hillsboro Building for Probation Expansion

December 2025 Committee Meeting Article Summary: The Montgomery County Board’s Buildings and Grounds Committee is evaluating the purchase of the "Rehab Edge" building in Hillsboro to house the Probation Department...

WATCH: Reclaiming the Panama Canal could be back on the table

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square Taking back the Panama Canal is “sort of on the table,” President Donald Trump told The Center Square in response to a question regarding comments...
Las Vegas tourism industry continues to decline

Las Vegas tourism industry continues to decline

By Liam HibbertThe Center Square Nevada’s tourism numbers took a hit throughout most of 2025, dropping nearly 7.4% from 2024. Data from the Las Vegas Convention Visitors Authority report showed...
More states now offer school choice programs for families

More states now offer school choice programs for families

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square School choice debates continue as more states opt into programs aimed at expanding educational options for families. National School Choice Week, scheduled for Jan. 25-31,...
Trump likely to make waves at biggest-ever World Economic Forum

Trump likely to make waves at biggest-ever World Economic Forum

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square The largest-ever World Economic Forum braces to receive the largest-ever U.S. delegation, with President Donald Trump and others leaving Tuesday for Davos, Switzerland. Over 3,000...
Illinois House returns to session with plans for SAFE-T Act, Israel, taxes

Illinois House returns to session with plans for SAFE-T Act, Israel, taxes

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Higher taxes, the SAFE-T Act and state policy regarding Israel may all be on the table as...
Illinois quick hits: Bovino bounty trial to begin; Judge sentences Kentucky man to 15 years in drugs case; Pritzker criticizes Trump's first year as Trump marks accomplishments

Illinois quick hits: Bovino bounty trial to begin; Judge sentences Kentucky man to 15 years in drugs case; Pritzker criticizes Trump’s first year as Trump marks accomplishments

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Bovino bounty trial to begin Jury selection is complete for the trial of a man accused of putting a bounty on...
IL AG reviews battles vs. Trump administration: '365 days of chaos'

IL AG reviews battles vs. Trump administration: ‘365 days of chaos’

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul says his office has endured 365 days of chaos with President Donald...
Largest U.S. band manufacturer plans to leave Ohio, send some production overseas

Largest U.S. band manufacturer plans to leave Ohio, send some production overseas

By David BeasleyThe Center Square While President Donald Trump continues to use tariffs to push for manufacturing to return to the United States, the largest manufacturer of band instruments in...
WATCH: Trump says he plans to send out $2,000 tariff checks without Congress

WATCH: Trump says he plans to send out $2,000 tariff checks without Congress

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he could bypass Congress to send $2,000 tariff rebate checks to some Americans. This directly contradicts his top economic...
House to vote on last four govt. funding bills costing $1.2 trillion

House to vote on last four govt. funding bills costing $1.2 trillion

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square Ten days before the government funding deadline, congressional appropriators released the last four fiscal year 2026 spending bills for the U.S. House to vote on....
Illinois House speaker, unions push millionaire’s tax as lawmakers return

Illinois House speaker, unions push millionaire’s tax as lawmakers return

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois state representatives are scheduled to be back in Springfield this week, and there is bipartisan concern...
Reports: Walz, Frey, Ellison among those issued subpoenas by U.S. Justice

Reports: Walz, Frey, Ellison among those issued subpoenas by U.S. Justice

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square High-ranking Minnesota elected officials on Tuesday were served subpoenas by the U.S. Department of Justice, according to multiple reports. Gov. Tim Walz, Attorney General Keith...
Supreme Court hears arguments in 'vampire rule' gun case

Supreme Court hears arguments in ‘vampire rule’ gun case

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments on Tuesday in a case over a Hawaii law that prohibits concealed carry permit holders from bringing guns on...
Trump slams 'stupid' UK decision to give back key military base

Trump slams ‘stupid’ UK decision to give back key military base

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square President Donald Trump sharply criticized the United Kingdom's decision to hand over the Chagos Islands, the location of a strategic U.S. military base, to Mauritius....