New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Montgomery County Highway Committee

Highway Department to Purchase Two Trucks for $615,000

December 2025 Committee Meeting Article Summary: Committees approved the purchase of two new Western Star tandem dump trucks for the Highway Department to replace aging vehicles. The total cost for...
Screenshot 2026-01-23 at 9.13.47 AM

Council Rejects Sale of American Legion Building, Plans Future Improvements

City of Litchfield Meeting | January 22, 2026 Article Summary: The Litchfield City Council voted unanimously against declaring the American Legion building as surplus property, effectively halting plans to sell...
Montgomery County Personnel Committee

County Advances Solar Agreement Benefiting Litchfield SCI Center

December 2025 Committee Meeting Article Summary: The Development and Personnel Committee recommended approval of a Community Benefits Agreement with Summit Ridge Energy. The deal includes a direct financial donation to...
Montgomery County Finance Committee

Finance Committee Recommends $30,000 for Fairgrounds Electrical Upgrades

December 2025 Committee Meeting Article Summary: The Montgomery County Finance and Budget Committee voted to recommend a $30,000 donation to the Montgomery County Fair Board to assist with critical electrical...
IL Republicans call for growing tax base, not raising taxes

IL Republicans call for growing tax base, not raising taxes

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Statehouse Republicans say it is time for Illinois Democrats to focus on growing the tax base instead...
DHS funding bill teeters as Democrats balk over ICE concerns

DHS funding bill teeters as Democrats balk over ICE concerns

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square Congress is racing to advance the last four federal spending bills through the House Rules Committee in time for a floor vote Thursday. But Democratic...
House hearing: Fraud goes far beyond Minnesota

House hearing: Fraud goes far beyond Minnesota

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square The U.S. House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Federal Government Surveillance heard Wednesday from witnesses on the ongoing Minnesota fraud scandal. Republicans and Democrats on...
Supreme Court hears arguments on Fed firing case

Supreme Court hears arguments on Fed firing case

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. Supreme Court heard oral arguments on Wednesday in a case over whether President Donald Trump can immediately remove Lisa Cook, a member of...
food manager

Montgomery County Extension to Host Food Safety Certification Course in February

Article Summary: The University of Illinois Extension is hosting a two-day certification course in Hillsboro this February for food service managers, satisfying state public health requirements for supervision. Hillsboro Food...
More than 1,000 cases of child care overpayments in Illinois over 5 years

More than 1,000 cases of child care overpayments in Illinois over 5 years

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – In the past 5 years, the state of Illinois has found more than 1,000 instances of taxpayer...
Support for religious freedom up 5 points from 2020, reaching a high of 71

Support for religious freedom up 5 points from 2020, reaching a high of 71

By Tate MillerThe Center Square Support for religious freedom grew five points from 2020 to 2025, reaching an all-time cumulative high of 71 points, according to Becket’s seventh annual Religious...
New bill would force DCFS to disclose details on missing children

New bill would force DCFS to disclose details on missing children

By Cat Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – An Illinois state senator has introduced legislation requiring the Department of Children and Family Services to...
WATCH: Pritzker says Trump’s first year a failure; Raoul discusses prosecuting fraud

WATCH: Pritzker says Trump’s first year a failure; Raoul discusses prosecuting fraud

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – In today's edition of Illinois in Focus Daily, The Center Square's Greg Bishop discusses some of the...
Illinois Quick Hits: Pritzker wants year-round E15 fuel

Illinois Quick Hits: Pritzker wants year-round E15 fuel

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker is renewing his call for the federal government to mandate year-round sales of...
Report: University diplomas losing value to GenAI

Report: University diplomas losing value to GenAI

By Alan WootenThe Center Square University diplomas are losing value, and 9 of 10 trying to gain them have diminished critical thinking skills because of the impact from generative artificial...