New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Civil group seeks revival of student loan forgiveness lawsuit

Civil group seeks revival of student loan forgiveness lawsuit

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square The New Civil Liberties Alliance presented oral arguments before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit this week, after filing an opening brief...
Professor: California sees nation's least affordable electricity

Professor: California sees nation’s least affordable electricity

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square California is experiencing the country's biggest hikes in electricity rates, according to new research from the Energy Institute at the Haas School of Business at...
December job openings lowest in five years

December job openings lowest in five years

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square Despite several quarters of strong GDP growth, job openings continued trending downward in December to an estimated 6.5 million – the lowest number in five...
Trump admin moves to more easily fire federal workers

Trump admin moves to more easily fire federal workers

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The Trump administration finalized a rule on Thursday that would make it easier to fire an estimated 50,000 federal employees. The Office of Personnel Management...
Trump's call for federal oversight intensifies clash over Michigan elections

Trump’s call for federal oversight intensifies clash over Michigan elections

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square As the 2026 election season ramps up, tensions are rising over oversight of Michigan’s elections as state and federal leaders clash over election integrity. President...
Siri class action lawsuit greenlit, billions at stake

Siri class action lawsuit greenlit, billions at stake

By Jonathan Bilyk | Legal NewslineThe Center Square A judge has cleared the way for as many as 3 million Apple device users in Illinois to be included in a...
California attorney general cites success in tackling fraud

California attorney general cites success in tackling fraud

By Dave MasonThe Center Square Editor's note: This story has been updated since its original publication to include a comment from the White House. California has recovered nearly $2.7 billion...
Illinois Quick Hits: Reward offered in Chicago shooting

Illinois Quick Hits: Reward offered in Chicago shooting

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Cook County Crime Stoppers are offering a reward up to $10,000 for information that leads to the...
'Ridiculous:' Republicans reject Dems' 10 demands for DHS reforms

‘Ridiculous:’ Republicans reject Dems’ 10 demands for DHS reforms

By Thérèse BoudreauxThe Center Square With a partial shutdown looming, U.S. lawmakers have eight days to broker a deal on the Department of Homeland Security’s annual budget. Progress, however, remains...
Legal scholars clash over climate lawsuits against energy companies

Legal scholars clash over climate lawsuits against energy companies

By Nolan MckendryThe Center Square A panel of legal scholars and lawyers argued Thursday over what a growing wave of climate lawsuits really represents: a legitimate use of courts to...
Litchfield Structure Fire

Litchfield Firefighters Respond to Structure Fire

Litchfield Fire Department responded to a structure fire on Washington Road Wednesday evening. No injuries were reported. Litchfield was assisted by area departments with personnel and tanker trucks.
WATCH: Bessent spars with lawmakers over tariffs, Trump lawsuits

WATCH: Bessent spars with lawmakers over tariffs, Trump lawsuits

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Lawmakers grilled Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on the Trump administration’s tariff policies and high profile lawsuits in the administration. Bessent, speaking before the Senate Banking,...

WATCH: Senate Dems: ‘We in Illinois need to tax’

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois Senate Democrats are pushing for higher taxes on digital advertising, billionaires and corporations. At the Illinois...
Illinois senator seeks immediate expulsions for student sexual assault

Illinois senator seeks immediate expulsions for student sexual assault

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – An Illinois state senator is renewing a push to change state law to require the immediate...
Denny's-Logo

Consortium Completes $620 Million Acquisition of Denny’s Corp.

Article Summary: A consortium led by TriArtisan Capital Advisors has finalized its purchase of Denny's Corp. in an all-cash deal valued at approximately $620 million. The transaction transitions the restaurant...