WATCH: Trump says U.S. will run Venezuela for foreseeable future

WATCH: Trump says U.S. will run Venezuela for foreseeable future

The U.S. will run Venezuela “until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition,” President Donald Trump said Saturday following the strikes that led to the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife.

U.S. military used power from the “air, land and sea” to launch a “spectacular assault” in strikes on the Venezuelan capital, leading to the capture of VMaduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, Trump said at a Saturday news conference.

Trump briefed the media at his Mar-a-Lago home in Palm Beach, Fla., claiming the Venezuelan military was “completely overwhelmed.”

“We’re going to have our very large United States oil companies, the biggest go in, spend billions of dollars, fix the badly broken infrastructure, the oil infrastructure, and start making money for the country,” Trump told reporters.

The president said the U.S. remains ready to stage a second larger attack “if we needed to do so.” He added that initially his administration believed a second wave would be necessary, saying the first was “so successful, we probably don’t have to do a second, but we’re prepared to do a second wave, a much bigger wave.”

Trump said the “partnership” with Venezuela “will make the people of Venezuela rich, independent and safe, and it will also make the many people from Venezuela living in the United States extremely happy. They suffered. They suffered, so much was taken from them. They’re not going to suffer anymore.”

The president described Maduro as an “illegitimate dictator” and a “kingpin of a vast criminal network responsible for trafficking colossal amounts of deadly and illicit drugs into the United States, as alleged in the indictment.”

U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi said Maduro and his wife would stand trial in the U.S. for their alleged crimes.

Trump reiterated that the Maduro regime flooded the U.S. with deadly drugs and criminals, which he claimed led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Along with drugs, Trump underscored Venezuela’s close ties with American adversaries, adding that the country had acquired “menacing offensive weapons that could threaten us,” indicating some of those weapons were used during the strike in defense of American forces.

“We will secure our borders. We will stop the terrorists, we will crash the cartels, and we will defend our citizens against all threats, foreign and domestic…This extremely successful operation should serve as warning to anyone who would threaten American sovereignty or danger American lives.”

Trump said the attack and apprehension of Maduro is making the Western Hemisphere safer.

Secretary of War Pete Hegseth reiterated the president’s warning to America’s adversaries.

“Our adversaries remain on notice,” Hegseth told reporters. “This is America first. This is peace through strength.”

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Dan Caine, described the military operation and the preparation to carry it out, which involved over 150 aircraft launching across the Western Hemisphere.

Caine said the operation had been months in the making, with intelligence studying every detail of Maduro’s life. He said the mission was set in early December.

Caine said the president ordered the mission to move forward on Friday at 10:46 p.m. Eastern time. He said aircraft were launched from 20 different land and sea bases across the Western Hemisphere.

The general said that Maduro and his wife “gave up and were taken into custody by the Department of Justice,” assisted by the U.S. military, then taken to the USS Iwo Jima.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Maduro had been indicted in 2020 and that he is “not the legitimate president of Venezuela” – underscoring that the Biden administration also didn’t recognize him, nor did the European Union.

Rubio repeated claims made by Vice President JD Vance that Maduro had been given multiple opportunities to avoid the outcome.

Rubio defended the decision not to notify Congress before the strike, describing it as “largely a law enforcement function. Remember, at the end of the day, this was an arrest of two indicted fugitives of American justice, and the Department of War supported the Department of Justice in that job.”

The president was asked who would be running Venezuela. He said some of those people who would be running things are “right behind [him].”

When asked how long the U.S. plans to run Venezuela, he said he would like to do it quickly, although he noted it would “take a period of time.” He said the U.S. will be rebuilding the country, including its infrastructure, which he claims has been in disrepair.

Trump was asked if running Venezuela was part of the America First agenda, which he defended, saying that “we want to surround ourselves with good neighbors. We want to surround ourselves with stability. We want to surround ourselves with energy. We have tremendous energy in that country. It’s very important that we protect it. We need that for ourselves.”

The president claimed running Venezuela won’t cost American taxpayers anything, because the oil companies will be paying for it, and that the oil companies will be reimbursing the United States.

Trump said that he told Maduro that he needed to surrender during their last conversation, which he believed he was close to doing, “but now he wished he did.”

The president was also asked about boots on the ground. Trump said there would be few on the ground, but some would be needed.

Trump ended the press conference by being asked if he had spoken with Russian President Vladimir Putin regarding Maduro. Trump said Maduro didn’t come up when he last talked to Putin. However, he said he isn’t “thrilled with Putin. He’s lilling too many people.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Illinois quick hits: Killeen stepping down from U of I in 2027

Illinois quick hits: Killeen stepping down from U of I in 2027

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square Killeen stepping down from U of I in 2027 University of Illinois System President Tim Killeen says he stepping down at...
Op-Ed: The Supreme Court must stop Louisiana’s retroactive lawsuits

Op-Ed: The Supreme Court must stop Louisiana’s retroactive lawsuits

By John ShuThe Center Square On Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in Chevron v. Plaquemines Parish on a threshold jurisdictional question. The Court’s answer could have...
Trump requests $6.2M in attorney fees from Fulton County

Trump requests $6.2M in attorney fees from Fulton County

By Kim JarrettThe Center Square A 222-page document filed in Fulton County Superior Court outlines President Donald Trump's $6.2 million in legal fees spent defending himself in an election interference...
U.S. economy added more than 500,000 jobs in 2025

U.S. economy added more than 500,000 jobs in 2025

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square The U.S. economy added 50,000 jobs in December, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics. The rate of job growth has remained steady over the past...
Trump eyes striking Mexican cartels

Trump eyes striking Mexican cartels

By Sarah Roderick-FitchThe Center Square President Donald Trump says he will be expanding the war on drugs in Latin America, striking targets south of the border. During an interview with...
Robots and AI dominate major trade show in Las Vegas

Robots and AI dominate major trade show in Las Vegas

By Liam HibbertThe Center Square Make way for the robots. Artificial intelligence is front and center at the famed Consumer Electronics Show, which took over Las Vegas this week at...
Mike Tyson, Ric Flair accuse ex-CBD products partners of $50M+ fraud

Mike Tyson, Ric Flair accuse ex-CBD products partners of $50M+ fraud

By Scott Holland | Legal NewslineThe Center Square Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson and WWE professional wrestler Ric Flair are leading a lawsuit they say is worth at least...
WATCH: Newsom says he's an alternate to White House 'chaos' in his final State of the State

WATCH: Newsom says he’s an alternate to White House ‘chaos’ in his final State of the State

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square In California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s final State of the State address Thursday, the potential presidential candidate positioned himself as an alternative to what he described...
Prosecutor calls Newsom 'king of fraud' for oversight failures

Prosecutor calls Newsom ‘king of fraud’ for oversight failures

By Dave MasonThe Center Square Editor's note: This story was updated since its initial publication with information from the White House. U.S. First Assistant Attorney Bill Essayli Thursday called California...
Seattle’s new mayor has no plans to look into possible local daycare fraud

Seattle’s new mayor has no plans to look into possible local daycare fraud

By Brett DavisThe Center Square It seems new Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson has no plans in her capacity as such to investigate allegations of local daycare fraud. When asked by...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.3

Litchfield Council Rejects One-Way Street Proposal for Post Office

City of Litchfield Meeting | January 6, 2026 Article Summary: The Litchfield City Council voted down a proposal to convert Kirkham Street into a one-way thoroughfare, a change requested by...
Foreign national charged with having gun near ICE agents in Chicago

Foreign national charged with having gun near ICE agents in Chicago

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A Mexican national has been charged with illegally possessing and firing a loaded handgun in Chicago near...
Tariffs sink Canadian couples' long-running e-commerce operation

Tariffs sink Canadian couples’ long-running e-commerce operation

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square Lana Bain and her husband had been selling antiques online for nearly 30 years when the U.S. tariffs hit. At first it was higher prices...
Attorneys file request to Supreme Court over gender secrecy

Attorneys file request to Supreme Court over gender secrecy

By Esther WickhamThe Center Square The Thomas More Society has filed an emergency application with the U.S. Supreme Court, requesting intervention in the Mirabelli v. Bonta lawsuit over gender secrecy...
Pritzker signs energy omnibus with new charge for ratepayers in 2030

Pritzker signs energy omnibus with new charge for ratepayers in 2030

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker has signed sweeping energy legislation that will add a new line item to Illinois...