WATCH: Trump says U.S. will run Venezuela for foreseeable future

WATCH: Trump says U.S. will run Venezuela for foreseeable future

The U.S. will run Venezuela “until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition,” President Donald Trump said Saturday following the strikes that led to the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife.

U.S. military used power from the “air, land and sea” to launch a “spectacular assault” in strikes on the Venezuelan capital, leading to the capture of VMaduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, Trump said at a Saturday news conference.

Trump briefed the media at his Mar-a-Lago home in Palm Beach, Fla., claiming the Venezuelan military was “completely overwhelmed.”

“We’re going to have our very large United States oil companies, the biggest go in, spend billions of dollars, fix the badly broken infrastructure, the oil infrastructure, and start making money for the country,” Trump told reporters.

The president said the U.S. remains ready to stage a second larger attack “if we needed to do so.” He added that initially his administration believed a second wave would be necessary, saying the first was “so successful, we probably don’t have to do a second, but we’re prepared to do a second wave, a much bigger wave.”

Trump said the “partnership” with Venezuela “will make the people of Venezuela rich, independent and safe, and it will also make the many people from Venezuela living in the United States extremely happy. They suffered. They suffered, so much was taken from them. They’re not going to suffer anymore.”

The president described Maduro as an “illegitimate dictator” and a “kingpin of a vast criminal network responsible for trafficking colossal amounts of deadly and illicit drugs into the United States, as alleged in the indictment.”

U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi said Maduro and his wife would stand trial in the U.S. for their alleged crimes.

Trump reiterated that the Maduro regime flooded the U.S. with deadly drugs and criminals, which he claimed led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Along with drugs, Trump underscored Venezuela’s close ties with American adversaries, adding that the country had acquired “menacing offensive weapons that could threaten us,” indicating some of those weapons were used during the strike in defense of American forces.

“We will secure our borders. We will stop the terrorists, we will crash the cartels, and we will defend our citizens against all threats, foreign and domestic…This extremely successful operation should serve as warning to anyone who would threaten American sovereignty or danger American lives.”

Trump said the attack and apprehension of Maduro is making the Western Hemisphere safer.

Secretary of War Pete Hegseth reiterated the president’s warning to America’s adversaries.

“Our adversaries remain on notice,” Hegseth told reporters. “This is America first. This is peace through strength.”

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Dan Caine, described the military operation and the preparation to carry it out, which involved over 150 aircraft launching across the Western Hemisphere.

Caine said the operation had been months in the making, with intelligence studying every detail of Maduro’s life. He said the mission was set in early December.

Caine said the president ordered the mission to move forward on Friday at 10:46 p.m. Eastern time. He said aircraft were launched from 20 different land and sea bases across the Western Hemisphere.

The general said that Maduro and his wife “gave up and were taken into custody by the Department of Justice,” assisted by the U.S. military, then taken to the USS Iwo Jima.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Maduro had been indicted in 2020 and that he is “not the legitimate president of Venezuela” – underscoring that the Biden administration also didn’t recognize him, nor did the European Union.

Rubio repeated claims made by Vice President JD Vance that Maduro had been given multiple opportunities to avoid the outcome.

Rubio defended the decision not to notify Congress before the strike, describing it as “largely a law enforcement function. Remember, at the end of the day, this was an arrest of two indicted fugitives of American justice, and the Department of War supported the Department of Justice in that job.”

The president was asked who would be running Venezuela. He said some of those people who would be running things are “right behind [him].”

When asked how long the U.S. plans to run Venezuela, he said he would like to do it quickly, although he noted it would “take a period of time.” He said the U.S. will be rebuilding the country, including its infrastructure, which he claims has been in disrepair.

Trump was asked if running Venezuela was part of the America First agenda, which he defended, saying that “we want to surround ourselves with good neighbors. We want to surround ourselves with stability. We want to surround ourselves with energy. We have tremendous energy in that country. It’s very important that we protect it. We need that for ourselves.”

The president claimed running Venezuela won’t cost American taxpayers anything, because the oil companies will be paying for it, and that the oil companies will be reimbursing the United States.

Trump said that he told Maduro that he needed to surrender during their last conversation, which he believed he was close to doing, “but now he wished he did.”

The president was also asked about boots on the ground. Trump said there would be few on the ground, but some would be needed.

Trump ended the press conference by being asked if he had spoken with Russian President Vladimir Putin regarding Maduro. Trump said Maduro didn’t come up when he last talked to Putin. However, he said he isn’t “thrilled with Putin. He’s lilling too many people.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

Meeting Briefs

Meeting Summary and Briefs: City of Litchfield for January 6, 2026

City of Litchfield Meeting | January 6, 2026 The Litchfield City Council met on Tuesday, January 6, 2026, for a session dominated by infrastructure and traffic concerns. The council rejected...
Retirements and resignations to impact midterms as balance of power at stake

Retirements and resignations to impact midterms as balance of power at stake

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Over the past several months, politicians once regarded as central to their party have bowed out of reelection campaigns or resigned from their positions altogether....
U.S. Supreme Court to hear anti-oil cases with energy costs on the line

U.S. Supreme Court to hear anti-oil cases with energy costs on the line

By Andrew RiceThe Center Square Energy advocates have been warning against green energy demands driving up prices across the country. As anti-oil and gas activists seek legal pathways to straddle...
Constitutional concerns raised over Illinois' first civil hate crime case

Constitutional concerns raised over Illinois’ first civil hate crime case

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – A former Illinois attorney general candidate says the state’s first civil hate crime lawsuit, while based...
Litchfield Logo Graphic.4

Residents Voice Frustrations Over Oil and Chip Street Conditions

City of Litchfield Meeting | January 6, 2026 Article Summary: Several residents approached the Litchfield City Council to complain about the poor condition of streets following recent oil and chip...
Newsom predicts smaller budget shortfall than state agency

Newsom predicts smaller budget shortfall than state agency

By Madeline ShannonThe Center Square In his proposed budget, California Gov. Gavin Newsom is predicting a shortfall of $2.9 billion. That's much less than the $18 billion shortfall projected by...
Colorado ordered to pay $5.4M after abortion law blocked

Colorado ordered to pay $5.4M after abortion law blocked

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square Colorado must pay back legal fees after it was sued for a law banning abortion pill reversals, a federal court ruled this week. The state...
Four Republicans certified for primary to take on Pritzker

Four Republicans certified for primary to take on Pritzker

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – The Republican primary election for who will take on Gov. J.B. Pritzker in November is set. Democrats...
Illinois quick hits: State sues over frozen funds; Nicor Gas seeks rate hike

Illinois quick hits: State sues over frozen funds; Nicor Gas seeks rate hike

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square State sues over frozen funds Illinois is one of five states suing the Trump administration over a freeze of more than...
Treasury, IRS ramp up investigation into Minnesota fraud

Treasury, IRS ramp up investigation into Minnesota fraud

By Morgan SweeneyThe Center Square The administration continues to ramp up its response to the massive social services fraud in Minnesota, with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent enumerating steps his department...
Tariff authority decision still awaited from Supreme Court

Tariff authority decision still awaited from Supreme Court

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square Tariff authority by second-term Republican President Donald Trump was not decided by the U.S. Supreme Court on Friday, meaning the federal government can continue to...
Minneapolis schools offer remote learning while ICE operations continue

Minneapolis schools offer remote learning while ICE operations continue

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square Minneapolis Public Schools can choose remote learning for at least a month in the wake of the shooting of Renee Good by an ICE officer...
Trump administration sued for freezing child care funds

Trump administration sued for freezing child care funds

By Chris WadeThe Center Square New York is leading four other states in suing the Trump administration over a freeze of more than $10 billion in federal funding for child...
Minnesota authorities cut out of ICE shooting investigation

Minnesota authorities cut out of ICE shooting investigation

By J.D. DavidsonThe Center Square Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriaty said the community could be left in the dark after the FBI refused to cooperate with local authorities to investigate...
WATCH: SCOTUS considers gun ban; Pritzker responds to funding freeze; Bailey’s blueprint

WATCH: SCOTUS considers gun ban; Pritzker responds to funding freeze; Bailey’s blueprint

By Greg Bishop | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – In today's edition of Illinois in Focus Daily, The Center Square Editor Greg Bishop discusses the status...