U.S. Ed Dept. investigates Puyallup wrestler’s sexual assault allegation by trans athlete
The U.S. Department of Education is investigating the Puyallup School District for how it handled an alleged sexual assault of a female wrestler late last year allegedly by a transgender student.
The Rogers High School sophomore reported the alleged assault to school officials and her coach two days after the December incident. The girl’s family contends the administration failed to take meaningful action to protect and investigate her claim of sexual assault.
The alleged victim, 16-year-old Kallie Keeler, says the incident happened during a Dec. 6, 2025, match in which she was wrestling against a 190-pound transgender wrestler. At the time, Keeler did not know her opponent was a biological male.
“The allegations in this case are sickening—that a female athlete was not only unknowingly forced to compete against a male in a girls-only division, placing her at increased risk for sexual assault, but that her report of sexual assault during the match was ignored by Puyallup School District for months. While the District may prioritize ideological agendas over the safety and dignity of its students, the Trump Administration will not tolerate such conduct,” Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Kimberly Richey said in a Friday news release announcing the federal investigation. “We will continue to vigorously enforce Title IX to ensure that women and girls have safe, equal access to educational programs and opportunities, and that allegations of sexual assault are addressed promptly and fully.”
The office of Pierce County Sheriff Keith Swank and the Puyallup School District confirmed Tuesday they are also conducting an investigation into the incident.
Event Calendar
Latest News Stories
Board Authorizes New Patrol Vehicles and Sheriff’s Office Equipment
IL lawmaker intros bill to regulate third-party lawsuit investing
Illinois senator offers 401(k)-style option to escape $145 billion pension crisis
Pasadena, Altadena continue recovery after 2025 Eaton Fire
Minneapolis seeks federal aid as Operation Metro Surge ends
Ongoing smuggling operations continue at U.S.-Canada border
Groups call on Canada to safeguard national security, combat expansive crime
County Donates $30,000 for Urgent Electrical Repairs at Fairgrounds
Everyday Economics: The jobs report mirage: Hiring looks fine until revisions hit
This family business paid $200,000 in tariffs last year, but won’t cut corners
27 members of TdA, anti-Tren members charged in New York
Montgomery County Board Approves $315,000 for New Dump Truck, Advances Infrastructure Projects