Temporary protected status terminated for Yemen nationals
Yemeni nationals in the U.S. on temporary protective status will have 60 days to leave the country.
Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem announced the termination of the protected status for nationals of the Gulf Arab state, which was initially granted Sept. 3, 2015, citing an “ongoing armed conflict” that could “pose a serious threat” to Yemeni nationals if they were to return.
“After reviewing conditions in the country and consulting with appropriate U.S. government agencies, I determined that Yemen no longer meets the law’s requirement to be designated for Temporary Protected Status,” Noem said in a statement. “Allowing TPS Yemen beneficiaries to remain temporarily in the United States is contrary to our national interest. TPS was designed to be temporary, and this administration is returning TPS to its original temporary intent. We are prioritizing our national security interests and putting America first.”
Since 2015, Yemeni nationals have had TPS extended six times – most recently in 2024, the last year of former President Joe Biden’s presidency. His administration extended it three times.
DHS says that Yemen nationals with “no other lawful basis” for remaining in the U.S. have 60 days to “voluntarily” leave the country. The nationals are encouraged to utilize the U.S. Customs and Border Protection app, which “provides a safe, secure way to self-deport,” which includes a “complimentary plane ticket, a $2,600 exit bonus, and potential future opportunities for legal immigration.”
However, if they don’t leave, the Yemeni nationals in the country on TPS voluntarily, they are subject to being arrested and deported, and “may never be allowed to return to the United States.”
Event Calendar
Latest News Stories
Board Authorizes New Patrol Vehicles and Sheriff’s Office Equipment
IL lawmaker intros bill to regulate third-party lawsuit investing
Illinois senator offers 401(k)-style option to escape $145 billion pension crisis
Pasadena, Altadena continue recovery after 2025 Eaton Fire
Minneapolis seeks federal aid as Operation Metro Surge ends
Ongoing smuggling operations continue at U.S.-Canada border
Groups call on Canada to safeguard national security, combat expansive crime
County Donates $30,000 for Urgent Electrical Repairs at Fairgrounds
Everyday Economics: The jobs report mirage: Hiring looks fine until revisions hit
This family business paid $200,000 in tariffs last year, but won’t cut corners
27 members of TdA, anti-Tren members charged in New York
Montgomery County Board Approves $315,000 for New Dump Truck, Advances Infrastructure Projects