Sultan in Epstein files resigns, global turmoil continues
An executive of a Dubai-based company resigned on Friday after documents released by the Justice Department tied him to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem was recently named in the Justice Department’s release of files related to Jeffrey Epstein. An email exchange suggested the sultan sent Epstein some kind of “torture video”
Documents released showed that Bin Sulayem communicated with the convicted sex offender for years and even visited his island, Little St. James.
U.S. Reps. Thomas Massie and Ro Khanna, D-Calif., visited the Justice Department this week to request it unredact certain names of prominent men who were mentioned in the documents.
The Sultan was one of several individuals whose names were unredacted after Massie and Khanna’s visit.
“[Thomas Massie] and I called on DOJ to stop protecting this man and unredact his name,” Khanna wrote. “They relented. Then I took to the House floor to name names. Today, he resigns.”
DP World, the group Bin Sulayem resigned from, inserted a new chairman and CEO in place of the disgraced sultan.
The resignation follows turmoil across the globe since the Justice Department’s latest release of files on Epstein. In the United Kingdom, connections between Peter Mandelson, a former UK representative, and Epstein led to Mandelson’s resignation from the UK Parliament.
The controversy has affected Prime Minister Keir Starmer with many calling for his resignation. Starmer planned to appoint Mandelson as the United Kingdom’s ambassador to the United States.
Documents revealed Epstein lobbied Mandelson for favorable tax policies. Mandelson also informed Epstein of prominent U.K. political figures’ resignations before they were formally announced.
Starmer’s chief of staff, Morgan McSweeney, resigned this week as a result of revelations tied to Mandelson. McSweeney said he advised Starmer to appoint Mandelson as ambassador to the United States.
“The decision to appoint Peter Mandelson was wrong. He has damaged our party, our country and trust in politics itself,” McSweeney said. “I leave with pride in all we have achieved mixed with regret at the circumstances of my departure. But I have always believed there are moments when you must accept your responsibility and step aside for the bigger cause.”
Event Calendar
Latest News Stories
Board Authorizes New Patrol Vehicles and Sheriff’s Office Equipment
IL lawmaker intros bill to regulate third-party lawsuit investing
Illinois senator offers 401(k)-style option to escape $145 billion pension crisis
Pasadena, Altadena continue recovery after 2025 Eaton Fire
Minneapolis seeks federal aid as Operation Metro Surge ends
Ongoing smuggling operations continue at U.S.-Canada border
Groups call on Canada to safeguard national security, combat expansive crime
County Donates $30,000 for Urgent Electrical Repairs at Fairgrounds
Everyday Economics: The jobs report mirage: Hiring looks fine until revisions hit
This family business paid $200,000 in tariffs last year, but won’t cut corners
27 members of TdA, anti-Tren members charged in New York
Montgomery County Board Approves $315,000 for New Dump Truck, Advances Infrastructure Projects