'Fraud tourists' plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

‘Fraud tourists’ plead guilty in Minnesota fraud case

Fraud investigations continue in Minnesota as the U.S. Department of Justice announced Tuesday two “fraud tourists” have pleaded guilty to stealing millions from taxpayers in the North Star state.

The two Pennsylvania men defrauded Minnesota’s Housing Stabilization Services program of about $3.5 million.

Initially launched in 2020 to help seniors and people with disabilities find and maintain housing, the state ended the short-lived program in 2025 after it saw an exponential growth in payouts with little oversight. Initially estimated to cost less than $3 million each year, it swelled to about $104 million in 2024.

The case, which is part of a collaboration between the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota and the DOJ’s Criminal Division’s Fraud Section, is just one of many currently being pursued by the Trump administration.

“Minnesota will no longer be a haven for fraud under our watch,” said U.S. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche. “The Justice Department has been investigating billions in taxpayer fraud across the country and has already successfully convicted 66 individuals and counting in Minnesota.”

Federal officials have promised more charges.

“Criminal fraud not only robs taxpayers – it shatters trust in our institutions. Under President Trump’s leadership, yesterday’s convictions are just the beginning,” said U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi. “Our prosecutors will work tirelessly to unravel criminal fraud schemes and charge their perpetrators in Minnesota and across the country.”

According to court documents, Anthony Waddell Jefferson and Lester Brown set up businesses in Minneapolis and enrolled as HSS program providers. Despite both living in Philadelphia, they allegedly would occasionally travel to Minnesota to find homeless individuals and others to sign up for housing assistance they would not use. Jefferson and Brown then pocketed the payouts.

In total, from February 2022 through June 2025, Jefferson and Brown stole about $3.5 million – claiming to help about 230 clients. Both men pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

While a Minnesota-based program, taxpayers across the nation were also helping fund the HSS program as it was part of the state’s Medicaid program.

“These defendants had no connection to Minnesota or its communities. They traveled across the country for one purpose: to prey upon and steal millions in taxpayer dollars meant for people struggling with homelessness, addiction and disabilities,” said DOJ Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva. “Although programs like HSS are run by the states, they are funded with federal tax dollars. The Criminal Division will not stand by while fraudsters put all Americans’ tax dollars at risk.”

The firestorm first broke about the Minneapolis fraud cases following the release of reports in late November which alleged that millions of taxpayer dollars had been fraudulently stolen from the Minnesota welfare system and then sent to the Somali-based terror group Al-Shabaab.

That was according to original reporting from Chris Rufo and Ryan Thorpe that was published in City Journal. It detailed how, throughout the fall, the then-acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Joe Thompson, was investigating several different cases of fraud in the state. At that time, Thompson called it a “crisis.”

There have been many federal committee hearings regarding the fraud and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison will both appear before the U.S. House Oversight Committee in March.

In one hearing regarding the ongoing Minnesota fraud scandal in January, Democrats on the committee defended Minnesota Democrats and accused President Donald Trump of having a double standard when it comes to addressing fraud.

“Minnesota lawmakers have also taken steps to reduce fraud in their state, strengthening the state’s ability to stop potential fraud sooner and improving investigations to hold those scammers accountable. President Trump has taken a very different approach to fraud,” said U.S. Rep. Lucy McBath, D-Georgia and ranking member on the committee. “We know this hearing is not really about fraud. It is about trust. The Trump administration does not want you to trust these programs, because if you don’t trust them, they’re easier to destroy.”

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

montgomery county Graphic Logo.3

Board Authorizes New Patrol Vehicles and Sheriff’s Office Equipment

Montgomery County Board Meeting | Jan. 13, 2026 Article Summary: The board approved the purchase of two new Dodge Durangos and necessary technical equipment for the Sheriff's Office. Sheriff's Office Purchases...
IL lawmaker intros bill to regulate third-party lawsuit investing

IL lawmaker intros bill to regulate third-party lawsuit investing

By Jonathan Bilyk | Legal NewslineThe Center Square Amid a growing push nationwide for new laws to regulate the booming business of third-party lawsuit investing, a state lawmaker has introduced...
Illinois senator offers 401(k)-style option to escape $145 billion pension crisis

Illinois senator offers 401(k)-style option to escape $145 billion pension crisis

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – An Illinois state senator is pushing a sweeping but voluntary change to the state’s pension system...
Pasadena, Altadena continue recovery after 2025 Eaton Fire

Pasadena, Altadena continue recovery after 2025 Eaton Fire

By Chris WoodwardThe Center Square Many people in the Pasadena area are going to need more time to recover from last year's devastating Eaton Fire. Rick Cole, a Pasadena City...
Minneapolis seeks federal aid as Operation Metro Surge ends

Minneapolis seeks federal aid as Operation Metro Surge ends

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square As Operation Metro Surge is expected to wind down in the coming week, the City of Minneapolis is seeking financial assistance from the federal government...
Ongoing smuggling operations continue at U.S.-Canada border

Ongoing smuggling operations continue at U.S.-Canada border

By Bethany BlankleyThe Center Square Ongoing smuggling operations continue at the U.S.-Canada border. After alleged offenders are arrested and charged by federal immigration officers, they are being indicted and prosecuted....
Groups call on Canada to safeguard national security, combat expansive crime

Groups call on Canada to safeguard national security, combat expansive crime

By Bethany BlankleyThe Center Square Two Canadian groups have called on the Canadian government to strengthen border security, highlighting failures to crack down on drug trafficking and illicit trade. While...
montgomery county Graphic Logo.2

County Donates $30,000 for Urgent Electrical Repairs at Fairgrounds

Montgomery County Board Meeting | Jan. 13, 2026 Article Summary: Recognizing critical infrastructure needs, the County Board voted to donate $30,000 from coal royalty funds to the Montgomery County Fair...

Everyday Economics: The jobs report mirage: Hiring looks fine until revisions hit

By Orphe DivounguyThe Center Square Last week’s jobs report said the U.S. added 130,000 jobs in January. But the more consequential news landed in the fine print: the Bureau of...
This family business paid $200,000 in tariffs last year, but won't cut corners

This family business paid $200,000 in tariffs last year, but won’t cut corners

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square La Tienda has been delivering the best of Spanish cuisine to Americans for three decades, but the task has become more expensive after President Donald...
27 members of TdA, anti-Tren members charged in New York

27 members of TdA, anti-Tren members charged in New York

By Bethany BlankleyThe Center Square An additional 27 members of Venezuelan transnational criminal organizations, Tren de Aragua and its splinter faction, anti-Tren, have been indicted in New York in an...
montgomery county Graphic Logo.4

Montgomery County Board Approves $315,000 for New Dump Truck, Advances Infrastructure Projects

Montgomery County Board Meeting | Jan. 13, 2026 Article Summary: The Montgomery County Board authorized the purchase of a new tandem dump truck and approved several engineering agreements to address road...
Litchfield Brush Fire_5494

Fire Department Responds to Brush Fire

The Litchfield Fire Department responded to a brush fire on 15th Avenue on Friday afternoon. Mutual aid was called for but not needed as crews brought the fire under control....
Illinois Quick Hits: Bills filed to create small business accounts

Illinois Quick Hits: Bills filed to create small business accounts

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Democratic state Sen. Doris Turner, D-Springfield, and Republican state Rep Amy Elik, R-Alton, have filed legislation to...
Taxpayers funding $52.8M Route 9 upgrade; residents raise safety concerns

Taxpayers funding $52.8M Route 9 upgrade; residents raise safety concerns

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois is set to receive $52.8 million in federal taxpayer funding to overhaul roughly 6 miles...