New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York, New Jersey sue feds over Hudson Tunnel funding cuts

New York and New Jersey are taking the Trump administration to court over its move to “illegally” claw back $15 billion in federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel Project, accusing the president of engaging in “political retribution.”

In a lawsuit filed late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, New York Attorney General Letitia James and acting New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport claim the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to withhold the funding was not because of noncompliance with laws but because the President Donald Trump is “engaged in political retribution” against the states.

“Suspending the funding for this monumental project based on the president’s desire to punish political rivals violates the Administrative Procedure Act many times over,” the AGs wrote in the 29-page complaint.

“At risk, of course, is the completion of this much-needed project on which a substantial proportion of the nation’s economy depends,” they wrote. “Also hanging in the balance are the livelihoods of thousands of people who are working on the project and the futures of the numerous businesses contracting with Gateway Development Commission to complete the project.”

The legal challenge follows a lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by the Gateway Development Commission, a multistate group overseeing the project. The commission’s complaint called the move “arbitrary and capricious” and asked the court to release “contractually obligated” grant and loan funds for the Hudson Tunnel Project that were pulled back by DOT.

Lawyers for Gateway said work at the project’s five sites in Manhattan and northern New Jersey will likely have to stop by Friday unless the federal government releases the funding.

“Allowing this project to stop would put one of the country’s most heavily used transit corridors at risk,” James said in a statement. “Our tunnels are already under strain and losing this project could be disastrous for commuters, workers, and our regional economy. We are taking the administration to court to prevent a shutdown that would ripple far beyond New York and New Jersey.”

The cuts were announced in October by Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought, who said $18 billion in funding for the Hudson Tunnel and the Second Avenue Subway project is “under administrative review” to determine if “to ensure funding is not flowing based on unconstitutional [diversity, equity and inclusion] principles.”

“The Department is focusing on these projects because they are arguably the largest infrastructure initiatives in the Western Hemisphere, and the American people want to see them completed quickly and efficiently,” DOT Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement at the time.

Trump has targeted his former state with federal funding cuts in response to top Democrats’ pushback over immigration crackdowns, a rollback of transgender protections and other divisive White House policies. He has also blamed top New York Democrats like Sen. Chuck Schumer for shutting down the government last year in a fight over federal health care subsidies.

“Donald Trump’s revenge tour on New York threatens to derail one of the most vital infrastructure projects this nation has built in generations, putting thousands of union jobs and billions of dollars in economic benefits in jeopardy and threatening the commutes of 200,000 riders,” Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement. “My message to Donald Trump and Sean Duffy is simple: we’ll see you in court.”

The Gateway project, years in the making, calls for renovating the 1910 tunnel, which carries about 200,000 weekday passengers on Amtrak and NJ Transit beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan. It’s expected to be completed by 2035. New York and New Jersey agreed last year to split the 30% local share of tunnel construction costs, a move required to apply for federal funding.

The upgrades are aimed at doubling the capacity of the Northeast Corridor train line between Newark and New York City — which state and federal officials say will improve rail mobility from Washington, D.C., to Boston and other destinations. They also say it will ease a bottleneck of rail traffic coming to and from the city, which is projected to worsen if renovations aren’t completed.

Leave a Comment





Latest News Stories

montgomery county Graphic Logo.3

Board Authorizes New Patrol Vehicles and Sheriff’s Office Equipment

Montgomery County Board Meeting | Jan. 13, 2026 Article Summary: The board approved the purchase of two new Dodge Durangos and necessary technical equipment for the Sheriff's Office. Sheriff's Office Purchases...
IL lawmaker intros bill to regulate third-party lawsuit investing

IL lawmaker intros bill to regulate third-party lawsuit investing

By Jonathan Bilyk | Legal NewslineThe Center Square Amid a growing push nationwide for new laws to regulate the booming business of third-party lawsuit investing, a state lawmaker has introduced...
Illinois senator offers 401(k)-style option to escape $145 billion pension crisis

Illinois senator offers 401(k)-style option to escape $145 billion pension crisis

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – An Illinois state senator is pushing a sweeping but voluntary change to the state’s pension system...
Pasadena, Altadena continue recovery after 2025 Eaton Fire

Pasadena, Altadena continue recovery after 2025 Eaton Fire

By Chris WoodwardThe Center Square Many people in the Pasadena area are going to need more time to recover from last year's devastating Eaton Fire. Rick Cole, a Pasadena City...
Minneapolis seeks federal aid as Operation Metro Surge ends

Minneapolis seeks federal aid as Operation Metro Surge ends

By Elyse ApelThe Center Square As Operation Metro Surge is expected to wind down in the coming week, the City of Minneapolis is seeking financial assistance from the federal government...
Ongoing smuggling operations continue at U.S.-Canada border

Ongoing smuggling operations continue at U.S.-Canada border

By Bethany BlankleyThe Center Square Ongoing smuggling operations continue at the U.S.-Canada border. After alleged offenders are arrested and charged by federal immigration officers, they are being indicted and prosecuted....
Groups call on Canada to safeguard national security, combat expansive crime

Groups call on Canada to safeguard national security, combat expansive crime

By Bethany BlankleyThe Center Square Two Canadian groups have called on the Canadian government to strengthen border security, highlighting failures to crack down on drug trafficking and illicit trade. While...
montgomery county Graphic Logo.2

County Donates $30,000 for Urgent Electrical Repairs at Fairgrounds

Montgomery County Board Meeting | Jan. 13, 2026 Article Summary: Recognizing critical infrastructure needs, the County Board voted to donate $30,000 from coal royalty funds to the Montgomery County Fair...

Everyday Economics: The jobs report mirage: Hiring looks fine until revisions hit

By Orphe DivounguyThe Center Square Last week’s jobs report said the U.S. added 130,000 jobs in January. But the more consequential news landed in the fine print: the Bureau of...
This family business paid $200,000 in tariffs last year, but won't cut corners

This family business paid $200,000 in tariffs last year, but won’t cut corners

By Brett RowlandThe Center Square La Tienda has been delivering the best of Spanish cuisine to Americans for three decades, but the task has become more expensive after President Donald...
27 members of TdA, anti-Tren members charged in New York

27 members of TdA, anti-Tren members charged in New York

By Bethany BlankleyThe Center Square An additional 27 members of Venezuelan transnational criminal organizations, Tren de Aragua and its splinter faction, anti-Tren, have been indicted in New York in an...
montgomery county Graphic Logo.4

Montgomery County Board Approves $315,000 for New Dump Truck, Advances Infrastructure Projects

Montgomery County Board Meeting | Jan. 13, 2026 Article Summary: The Montgomery County Board authorized the purchase of a new tandem dump truck and approved several engineering agreements to address road...
Litchfield Brush Fire_5494

Fire Department Responds to Brush Fire

The Litchfield Fire Department responded to a brush fire on 15th Avenue on Friday afternoon. Mutual aid was called for but not needed as crews brought the fire under control....
Illinois Quick Hits: Bills filed to create small business accounts

Illinois Quick Hits: Bills filed to create small business accounts

By Jim Talamonti | The Center SquareThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Democratic state Sen. Doris Turner, D-Springfield, and Republican state Rep Amy Elik, R-Alton, have filed legislation to...
Taxpayers funding $52.8M Route 9 upgrade; residents raise safety concerns

Taxpayers funding $52.8M Route 9 upgrade; residents raise safety concerns

By Catrina Barker | The Center Square contributorThe Center Square (The Center Square) – Illinois is set to receive $52.8 million in federal taxpayer funding to overhaul roughly 6 miles...